huulong
Topic Author

Password does not seem to support special characters ("The submitted form was invalid") and cannot be changed

20 Jan 2018, 21:00

I tried to register with a complex password with special characters but got the following message:
"The submitted form was invalid. Try submitting again."
Removing the special characters allowed me to register, but the password is now less safe. An additional error message should probably be displayed "Password contains forbidden special characters X & Y" or better, special characters should be allowed.

I wanted to change my password afterward to test which characters would be allowed to make the password as complex as possible, but I cannot see any Change Password button on the website. Clicking on the top-right login icon when logged in (when there is a Check symbol) simply logs out the user (instead of opening the Profile page as on most websites).

The only way to modify the current password seems to log out, try to log in then select "I forgot my password", Submit user info and click the new password activation link. I did that, but now I'm stuck with a random password.

It seems that the login system on this website is custom-made, and lacks a few standard features. For now, I will keep my random password which is moderately secure, but I'd like to change my password eventually.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Password does not seem to support special characters ("The submitted form was invalid") and cannot be changed

24 Jan 2018, 01:46

It seems that the login system on this website is custom-made, and lacks a few standard features.
It is PHPBB, so I would say we cannot easily modify what characters are allowed or not allowed when register a new account password. But, the front-end on top on PHPBB is custom made and we should definitely improve it because right now the user control panel is hidden and doing trivial things like changing password are not easy to accomplish.

Thanks a lot for your feedback!