rlmartins

Re: WebAssembly

27 Feb 2021, 20:14

Any sample using NOESIS+WASM+NETCORE+C#
?

I am trying to use C# to render XAML over the browser. Is this possible?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

01 Mar 2021, 13:55

Right now we are only providing this for Unity. Although nothing stops you from doing the same in C# SDK, but you will have to manually convert C# to Wasm.

asthomas

05 Jan 2022, 16:09

Has there been any progress on supporting a WASM target for C#? That would be our primary reason to use Noesis GUI. We have done some experimenting with the Unity build for WASM and it is not practical for our application.

In your above comment you said it would be possible to manually convert C# to Wasm. Can you provide a working example of how this would be done?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

10 Jan 2022, 17:28

No progress on C# for WASM for now. If this is critical for your project, I think we could include some kind of prioritization as part of the license.

Could you please elaborate on why Unity is not practical?

asthomas

12 Jan 2022, 00:48

We want to create a purely 2D application that is portable to WebAssembly, Windows, Android and iOS. My experiments with Unity suggest that:
* It would require an additional unnecessary Unity license cost per developer
* The debugging environment for Unity is more awkward than working entirely within Visual Studio
* The Unity engine would unnecessarily bloat the shipping product
* Rendering in the Unity screen space does not anti-alias. Non-bitmapped controls don't look good.

If I'm wrong about any of these, I'm happy to be corrected.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

12 Jan 2022, 13:17

Everything is correct but the last point.
Rendering in the Unity screen space does not anti-alias. Non-bitmapped controls don't look good.
Just enabing PPAA in Noesis View should fix this. All our examples should render without AA artifacts. If you don't get that, something is wrong.

asthomas

13 Jan 2022, 13:04

Thanks for clarifying. That makes Unity a fallback option if we cannot get WebAssembly to work any other way.

Back to my earlier question - can you provide some information about how we would compile to WebAssembly from a .NET Framework project? We do not mind writing post-processing scripts and makefiles if that is what it takes, we just don't know what the toolchain is, nor how to invoke it.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

13 Jan 2022, 17:30

Back to my earlier question - can you provide some information about how we would compile to WebAssembly from a .NET Framework project? We do not mind writing post-processing scripts and makefiles if that is what it takes, we just don't know what the toolchain is, nor how to invoke it.
I didn't have time to figure out the right solution. Mono to wasm seems to be interesting although experimental.

asthomas

18 Jan 2022, 20:54

Thanks. I'll take a look. If we decide to go ahead on a Noesis Engine project we'll probably want to take you up on the offer to prioritize WebAssembly when we buy our license.

ai_enabled

14 Sep 2023, 23:11

Hi guys,
Is there any progress with WASM + .NET?

Now with Unity infamously ruining its reputation (by retroactively imposing "installation fees" and generally making some incredibly short-sighted business decisions), we're considering .NET 7 WebAssembly with NoesisGUI for a new experimental project.
.NET 7 WASM support is great and we're expecting .NET 8 to be released soon, and the NoesisGUI WASM build works great, it's just the bridge between them which is missing...

If nobody is working on it I'm ready to start writing my own C# WASM wrapper (after all I have experience writing the MonoGame wrapper and I guess a lot of things can be inherited from there).

Regards!
AtomicTorch Studio Pte. Ltd. http://atomictorch.com