alfiare

Re: [BETA] NoesisGUI v2.2.0b6

19 Feb 2019, 23:45

Looks like a lot of great stuff in this beta, excited to be trying it out in the next couple days! Any word on Unity Scriptable Render Pipeline support? (Especially Lightweight Render Pipeline)

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

20 Feb 2019, 00:01

I am glad to feel your excitement about all the new changes. The team worked really hard to achieve this version.
> Enhancement Unity New XAML importer, faster and more robust
This will hopefully speed up app startup time, currently Noesis accounts for 2-4 seconds (more on slower phones that some customers complained about)
Edit: just checked one of the worst cases is 8s on Snapdragon 400 (where the customer complaint was filed 2/12 on Android)
Unfortunately, that line in the changelog is not very clear because the mentioned changes are for the 'Unity' importer, just a layer on top of the C++ Xaml Importer. Many customers were having crashes in Unity or empty XAML errors when editing XAML in Unity, this should fix it. Anyway, we did improvements in the C++ Xaml parser in 2.2 so you probably will see a bit of improvement but do not expect much. We should definitely find time to debug your application to see what's going on. I assume you are putting all shared resources in the global dictionary, aren't you?
> Enhancement Unity IME implemented in Unity (#1243 #1264 #1213)
We've had customer issues with Bengali and Sinhala languages, looking forward to trying new version.
"There is problem in typing text in sinhala language.when I typed in like this යන්නේ" -> customer report from yesterday (2/18) on Android
Is this on mobile? Because I am not sure Unity supports IME on mobiles. We didn't try yet, but we will very soon.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

20 Feb 2019, 00:08

Looks like a lot of great stuff in this beta, excited to be trying it out in the next couple days! Any word on Unity Scriptable Render Pipeline support? (Especially Lightweight Render Pipeline)
Yes, Scriptable Render Pipeline works without changes in Noesis but we didn't have time to write documentation about it. The trick is manually invoking the OnPreRender and OnPostRender functions in the NoesisView component at the right point. Another unsolved problem we need to figure out is that those Pipelines are not extensible so users need to manually touch the code to inject noesis calls. Any ideas about this?

nokola

20 Feb 2019, 04:50

> We should definitely find time to debug your application to see what's going on. I assume you are putting all shared resources in the global dictionary, aren't you?
Yes. I'll send a bug report tomorrow with attached App.xaml and MainPage.xaml
I noticed the .xaml is stored as plain text in the .asset files - perhaps having it stored in some binary format will help.
I'll review my App.xaml and try loading it in parts after I finish fixing other non-Noesis startup speed issues.

> IME
Yes - it's on Android. I'll try the behavior with 2.2 and report back.

nokola

20 Feb 2019, 18:07

Just tried beta 6 2.2. Unity, cannot compile (40+ errors).
Breaking changes - the following events/handlers are gone:
1. MouseUpHandler
2. Thumb.DragStartedHandler, Thumb.DragCompletedHandler
3. MouseEnterHandler
4. PreviewMouseMoveHandler
5. MouseLeaveHandler
6. MouseLeftButtonDownHandler

Missing functions:
1. GUI.SoftwareKeyboard.Hide();

Other missing:
1. Point.Zero - it was useful (better than new Point(0, 0), also useful for "find all references")
2. + operator for Noesis.Point
3. NoesisView.TessellationQuality
4. Noesis settings - the Unity pane where we set app.xaml, glyph texture size, etc.

What are the equivalents/replacement for these?

sfernandez
Site Admin

21 Feb 2019, 13:15

1. MouseUpHandler
2. Thumb.DragStartedHandler, Thumb.DragCompletedHandler
3. MouseEnterHandler
4. PreviewMouseMoveHandler
5. MouseLeaveHandler
6. MouseLeftButtonDownHandler
All event handlers match now WPF signature for better compatibility, and the new names will be as follows:
1 and 6. MouseButtonEventHandler
3, 4, and 5. MouseEventHandler
2. DragStartedEventHandler, DragCompletedEventHandler
1. GUI.SoftwareKeyboard.Hide();
Not required anymore, software keyboard will be handled by Unity integration automatically. Not yet implemented for mobile platforms in this b6.
1. Point.Zero - it was useful (better than new Point(0, 0), also useful for "find all references")
2. + operator for Noesis.Point
As before, to improve compatibility with WPF code, Point now exposes the exact same API than WPF. To add two points you have to use one as Vector.
Point p1 = new Point(1, 2);
Point p2 = new Point(3, 4);
Point sum = p1 + new Vector(p2.X, p2.Y);

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

21 Feb 2019, 13:26

4. Noesis settings - the Unity pane where we set app.xaml, glyph texture size, etc.
It is in the same location as before. Probably not appearing because you have compiler errors?

By the way, the Unity tutorial was updated to the latest beta.

nokola

22 Feb 2019, 06:03

Thanks! What about this one:
3. NoesisView.TessellationQuality missing
Is there an equivalent setting?

I updated all code, compiles now. After the project compiled, Noesis started installing (showed the progress bar), then Unity crashed after a minute.

I see this in the Unity Console log after restart:
"A default asset was created for 'Assets/XAMLs/FantasiaPhone/UnityShared/Resources/NewPaintingDialog.asset' because the asset importer crashed on it last time.
You can select the asset and use the 'Assets -> Reimport' menu command to try importing it again, or you can replace the asset and it will auto import again.
UnityEditor.Purchasing.UnityIAPUpdater:MigrateProductCatalog()"
Trying carefully to Reimport all :)

Edit: I cannot Reimport All without crashing Unity. Unfortunately I don't get any log files either - Unity just disappears and shows the above message upon restart. If you'd like to send me a debug version of Noesis or something else to try, please let me know!
Edit2: Noticed Unity editor uses 10GB RAM upon trying to load the NewPaintingDialog.xaml file at runtime that fails to import.
Edit3: Opened crash issue with repro XAML https://www.noesisengine.com/bugs/view.php?id=1407 - Noesis uses 10GB RAM very quickly and dies. Code behind file does nothing out of the ordinary:
NoesisExtensions.LoadComponent(this, Globals.BaseUnityXamlPath + "/NewPaintingDialog.xaml");

rectBack = (Rectangle) FindName("rectBack");
imgConeBack = (Image) FindName("imgConeBack");
mainPane = (StackPanel) FindName("mainPane");
btnFillBlack = (RadioButton) FindName("btnFillBlack");
btnFillWhite = (RadioButton) FindName("btnFillWhite");
btnFillPastelRainbow = (RadioButton) FindName("btnFillPastelRainbow");
btnFillRainbow = (RadioButton) FindName("btnFillRainbow");
btnColor1 = (RadioButton) FindName("btnColor1");
rectColor1 = (Rectangle) FindName("rectColor1");
btnHoriz = (RadioButton) FindName("btnHoriz");
rectHoriz = (Rectangle) FindName("rectHoriz");
btnVert = (RadioButton) FindName("btnVert");
rectVert = (Rectangle) FindName("rectVert");
btnOk = (Button) FindName("btnOk");
btnCancelNewPainting = (Button) FindName("btnCancelNewPainting");
gradient1 = (SmallColorPicker) FindName("gradient1");
gradient2 = (SmallColorPicker) FindName("gradient2");

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

22 Feb 2019, 19:02

Thanks! What about this one:
3. NoesisView.TessellationQuality missing
Is there an equivalent setting?
Yes, the equivalent property is NoesisView.TessellationMaxPixelError. It is being exposed as a float, but that's not correct it should be exposed as Noesis.TessellationMaxPixelError that is internally a float but provide constants for low, medium and high values compatible with 2.1. We need to fix it, as a workaround you can assign it this way:
NoesisView.TessellationMaxPixelError = Noesis.TessellationMaxPixelError.MediumQuality.Error;

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

22 Feb 2019, 19:04

Edit2: Noticed Unity editor uses 10GB RAM upon trying to load the NewPaintingDialog.xaml file at runtime that fails to import.
Thanks for testing nokola. I have provided you a patch in #0001407