jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

NoesisGUI 1.3 RC3

09 Aug 2016, 13:45

We are proud to announce that 1.3 is now a public beta that verified accounts can download. This version represents more than a year of very hard work. We collected all your feedback and incorporate many improvements to this version.

Main features you will find in this version:
  • New rendering architecture with better performance.
  • Offscreens are now automatically managed.
  • Text is now rendered with a new algorithm that is a lot faster and behaves nice under animation.
  • Support for inlines and all kind of brushes in Text.
  • Renderers are no longer part of the runtime. You must provide one implementation. We have simplified the architecture to make this step very simple. A new implementation shouldn't take more than a few days. There are reference implementations for D3D11, OpenGL, OpenGL ES and Metal in the SDK.
  • New Resources architecture. Resources (xaml, images, fonts) can be loaded directly without preprocessing. We have abandoned the serialization architecture. We are working in an optional new format (similar to XBF) for binarizing XAMLs. More information in future releases.
  • Many more improvements described in the changelog.
DOWNLOADS Thanks a lot for your feedback!

Erio

Re: NoesisGUI 1.3 BETA

09 Aug 2016, 16:57

This is awesome!

Great job guys. :)

On my end, I will wait for the Unity package to test it out but so far, those changes seem to be awesome. :D

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

09 Aug 2016, 19:04

Thanks! The next step is releasing the C# SDK, that will be fully supported in this version (it was beta in 1.2). And after that, Unity.

jazzay

10 Aug 2016, 17:18

Hello, I am interested in trying out the new 1.3 beta, however when I try to download the runtime linked above I get - "You are not authorised to download this attachment". SDK link downloads fine.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

11 Aug 2016, 14:36

Hello, I am interested in trying out the new 1.3 beta, however when I try to download the runtime linked above I get - "You are not authorised to download this attachment". SDK link downloads fine.
Sorry for that, this version can only be downloaded by verified accounts (customers). We could send you a trial of 1.2 if you are interested though.

jazzay

14 Aug 2016, 20:01

Sorry to hear that. You should probably revise the wording of your original post then, "now a public beta that everybody can download" leads one to believe that the general public can give it a spin.

Sinae

17 Aug 2016, 01:46

i was also interested in your product for a while and wanted to try it.. I'm a senior .net architect with 10 years of WPF user interface experience.. I wonder if you have a better text rendering engine by default =)

you will need third party controls to compete with bigger frameworks.. =)

ai_enabled

17 Aug 2016, 06:22

i was also interested in your product for a while and wanted to try it.. I'm a senior .net architect with 10 years of WPF user interface experience.. I wonder if you have a better text rendering engine by default =)

you will need third party controls to compete with bigger frameworks.. =)
As a .NET developer with WPF experience for over 8 years and a NoesisGUI user for 3 years, I can say that the text rendering in v1.2 is already much better than WPF.
Regarding the controls libraries - I'm helping them resolve API differences with WPF (reporting everything I can find) and I hope someday we will be able to simply take any controls library for WPF and use it with NoesisGUI (it's currently not too hard if a library source code is open, but if it's closed we need some IL-rewriter to reconstruct DLL to use NoesisGUI assemblies instead of WPF).
BTW, our current project - a game powered by our in-house engine with very tight integration with NoesisGUI (C# SDK) - uses VS2015 XAML designer (and Blend) to prototype the UI, then the same XAML is used by the engine and related C# code is simply compiled by Roslyn with some little code fixes to make it compatible with NoesisGUI. The engine is also able to live-reload XAML and C# code. It works very well and our development speed is boosted dramatically, which is crucial for our future plans.

Regards!
AtomicTorch Studio Pte. Ltd. http://atomictorch.com

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

18 Aug 2016, 11:07

Sorry to hear that. You should probably revise the wording of your original post then, "now a public beta that everybody can download" leads one to believe that the general public can give it a spin.
Sorry for that. I have fixed it. Could you please contact us in private? Let's see if we can do something for your request : D

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

18 Aug 2016, 11:15

As a .NET developer with WPF experience for over 8 years and a NoesisGUI user for 3 years, I can say that the text rendering in v1.2 is already much better than WPF.
We did many changes in v1.3 regarding text rendering. Basically, we dropped hinting and right now the text can be perfectly animated with subpixel position. This is great for hdpi devices but it produces a bit of blurring in low-density screens.

We still have to take a final decision about it and the feedback we receive is going to be vital.

Thanks for your explanation ai_enabled! The technology you have built is totally amazing and is helping us a lot.