antsonthetree

Re: Unreal Engine 4

10 Feb 2018, 21:54

UPDATE: I was able to get it to sort of work by installing the plugin at the project level. I can now see my HUD and can get mouse over events on my actors in the scene, so this is progress. However now I am unable to click on any xaml elements (buttons etc) in my HUD, unless I set the NoesisView visiblity to Visible. And that breaks the mouse over events on the actors. Ugh.

Scenario is that I have a xaml HUD with some skill buttons at the bottom and a health bar at the top. Fairly standard deal. I need to be able to click a skill button on the HUD and then get mouse over events from my world actors. Currently I have the NoesisView set to Visibility=SelfHitTestInvisible, I have the background of the stackpanel holding the buttons set to Black. And I have the main container grid set with no transparency setting. I have SetInputModeGameAndUI and I am showing my cursor. This allows me to get actor mouse overs, but I cannot click any of the buttons on the HUD. IF I set the NoesisView to Visibility=Visible then I can click the buttons, but I no longer get mouse overs on the actors.

I also notice that there doesn't seem to be any difference if my background is unset, or set to Transparent, or x:Null, or even a color with alpha. I can still get actor mouse over events if Visibility=SelfHitTestInvisible, and no mouse events if Visibility=Visible. Additionally I have tried variations with SetInputModeUIOnly but still no luck.

So I am either misunderstanding how to use this new feature (certainly possible), or there is a bug.
As usual - Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,
Jake

antsonthetree

10 Feb 2018, 21:58

And One Other Thing :)

I notice that in the NoesisView widget blueprints I do not have access to many of the standard blueprint nodes like:
GetGameMode
GetGameInstance
GetPlayerCharacter
etc
These nodes are all available in a standard blueprint Widget, so I would think they should be available in a NoesisView widget as well.

Thanks!
Jake

hcpizzi
Site Admin

12 Feb 2018, 17:33

Hi Jake,

I'm currently looking into the event issue. I tested the system with mouse click events, which work, but I'm starting to see the problems with this approach. It looks like their hit detection system is quite inflexible, but I've found a couple of possible ways to get it sorted.

After that's done I'll look into why those functions are not exposed in a NoesisView.

As per the DLL message, you can ignore it. As part of the work to support project plugins once of the things I did was to look for the DLL in every possible location. If it wasn't finding it the plugin wouldn't load. You can go back to having the plugin in your project if you prefer.

And as you figured out, Visibility has to be set to Visible now. SelfHitTestInvisible showed the widget before because there were several widgets between the SObjectWidget that contains the NoesisView and the SNoesisWidget that handled drawing and events. Now those are gone and the NoesisView is a leaf node, so if that's not visible nothing is. But, as you already tested, SelfHitTestVisible didn't do what was supposed to do before.

Hopefully I'll get those events working soon. I'll keep you posted.

antsonthetree

12 Feb 2018, 21:16

Hello hcpizzi,

Thanks for the update. I know it's a challenging issue. Good luck!

Jake

flyingtree

26 Feb 2018, 11:22

iOS compile failed because missing header files

in NoesisSupport.h
#include "CoreMinimal.h"
in NoesisSupport.cpp
// UMG includes
#include "Application/SlateApplicationBase.h"
#include "Layout/WidgetPath.h"

// NoesisRuntime includes
#include "NoesisInstance.h"

hcpizzi
Site Admin

27 Feb 2018, 11:56

Hi flyingtree,

Sorry about that. I did indeed build it for IOS, but going through the log the build system considered the target to be up to date and didn't rebuild it. Forcing it to do so did in fact highlight the problem. Its fixed and committed now.

null

13 Mar 2018, 02:47

Is there currently any special requirements for building a project for Android platform?
Builds for Windows were successful, but Android is failing with:
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):   ../Plugins/NoesisGUI/Source/NoesisRuntime/Classes\NoesisBaseComponent.h(15,10) :  fatal error: 'NoesisBaseComponent.generated.h' file not found
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):   #include "NoesisBaseComponent.generated.h"
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):            ^
UATHelper: Packaging (Android (ASTC)):   1 error generated.
Steps to reproduce:
1) Clone https://github.com/Noesis/Tutorials/tre ... dget3D/UE4
2) Build it targeting Android 21

My environment:
Unreal Engine - 4.18.3
NoesisGUI Native SDK - v2.1.0f1
NoesisGUI Unreal Engine Plugin - latest commit from 13 March
Android NDK toolchain - r12b

Update:
Haven't yet tested on real device, but it was successfully built after moving the installation of NoesisGUI middleware from engine-wide to the project-only level. I guess it should be noted somewhere.

hcpizzi
Site Admin

13 Mar 2018, 08:08

Hi null,

That's with the engine installed through the Epic Games Launcher, right? Sorry about that, we need to create more BuildNoesisGUIPlugin scripts for the platforms other than Win64 and Mac to fix that. I'll commit them and update the documentation today, and update this thread when it's done.

Thanks for the feedback!

null

13 Mar 2018, 08:58

Hi null,

That's with the engine installed through the Epic Games Launcher, right? Sorry about that, we need to create more BuildNoesisGUIPlugin scripts for the platforms other than Win64 and Mac to fix that. I'll commit them and update the documentation today, and update this thread when it's done.

Thanks for the feedback!
Yeah, I am using engine from the launcher and yes, I saw it's just uses hardcoded list in the bat file but I wasn't sure with the correct syntax for
-TargetPlatforms=
param to pass Android here. It's a good idea to generate files for all availble platforms in case of engine-wide plugin installation. Thanks for your work.

hcpizzi
Site Admin

13 Mar 2018, 11:35

Hi null,

The syntax is -TargetPlatforms="Win64,Android" if you want to have more than one. But you also need to copy the Intermediate directory, because we only commit those files for the host platform.

In any case, I just committed to GitHub the scripts. I've added an Android build script for Windows and Mac, and an IOS script for Mac. I'm investigating the possibility of building IOS from Windows and I'll create the corresponding script if I get it to work (haven't had much luck on that front so far).