steveh
Topic Author

Drop shadows for Path elements

08 Oct 2019, 13:35

Hi guys,

Our artist has pre-vised the UI in our game with a strong reliance on having drop shadows on lots of elements on the UI. Most of our UI elements are exported from Illustrator and converted to WPF paths via Microsoft Expression 4 and then is set as a child of a ControlTemplate in a resource dictionary. This works well, but because we are relying on vector geometry, we lose the ability to rasterise out the drop shadows.

I've seen that on your roadmap for 3.0 that you intend to add support for render effects which I'm guessing would allow us to do this in the long run. Are there any suggestions in the meantime to add drop-shadow support for vector geometry?

Cheers,

-Steven

Tags:

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Drop shadows for Path elements

09 Oct 2019, 05:31

Yes, drop shadow effects will come with the next major version but as the rest of effects they need off-screen rendering and may affect performance. We are also implementing SDF (Signed Distance Fields) for text rendering and we are thinking about extending this also to small paths. With distance fields, the blur effect although fake, is very cheap. Depending on the content you have, you could also just copy the path again with an offset and a black paint (no blur) to simulate the effect.

Could you please share with us a few of those vectors your artists created? (open a private ticket if needed please)

steveh
Topic Author

09 Oct 2019, 13:59

Sure thing, I've open a private ticket here:

https://www.noesisengine.com/bugs/view.php?id=1563

Cheers,

-Steven

jsantos
Site Admin

09 Oct 2019, 14:47