Mind Calamity

Re: OGRE Renderer

23 Feb 2012, 04:19

I haven't worked with DirectX directly before, so I have no idea what's needed...

In any case I made a BitBucket repository, if you (jsantos) have a problem with it being public before NoesisGUI is publicly released I can take it down (make it private).

https://bitbucket.org/MindCalamity/nogre

It currently works - the purple background is rendered without the GUI for some reason. From here on it's probably OGRE-specific discussion.

Here's a screenshot:

And the OGRE viewport background is completely black, so the purple background is the result of NoesisGUI's demo code being partially rendered.

jsantos
Site Admin

23 Feb 2012, 14:20

Hi!

I prefer that the repository is made private for now because the beta is private. Anyway, any ogre developer is welcome here and we will create accounts for anybody wanting to help us.

About the purple background... are you sure the picture you attached is right? I don't see that background. :)
Then, it is already working?

Preparing for the next step I think that you should study IRenderSystem and IRenderContext interfaces, because they should be implemented in ogre. Do you see any problem? The big difference with other implementations you may have seen previously is that the rendersystem generate internal commands in a deferred context. This is done that way to allow rendering several gui panels on parallel.

Mind Calamity

23 Feb 2012, 17:07

It's not working because the UI is not getting rendered, but the background created by DirectX is, which is wrong - it should render the UI too.

I'll try to fix it later.

Wolfmanfx
Topic Author

26 Feb 2012, 12:12

Hi,

Sorry for the delay i was a little bit busy but today i took the time and made Plugin for the sample browser
See the attachments Ogre/Noesis GUI is working and rendering correctly.

@jsantos Maybe could have chat via skype when you have time?

I will make a small demo where you can influence the Ogre Scene and publish the Code Source + bin where ever you guys want.

So weekend time :)

Slicky

27 Feb 2012, 21:38

Nice work Wolfman. It would be great if you can share the small demo so the other Ogre users here can play around and see what we can do.

jsantos
Site Admin

28 Feb 2012, 01:00

Hi!

Fabulous work people! I think we could prepare a decent GUI panel for that demo. Tell us what do you need for the demo and we will design it in xaml.

Although NoesisGui is going to be free for non-commercial projects, please, for now, do not publish anything related to NoesisGui outside these forums. For now, we want to have the beta version controlled.

@Wolfmanfx: This week I am going to MWC2012, but when I am back we can chat via skype without any problem.

Then, I think that the next step would be studying the IRenderSystem interface, wouldn't it?

mario44

28 Feb 2012, 13:58

I'm new to Ogre so maybe one of you Ogre guru's can answer my question.

As I understand it, each ogre render system is tied to a specific 3D API like DX9, OpenGL, etc.
How does creating a render system for NoesisGUI work since it is not really a 3D api?
Or would a NoesisGUI somehow sit on top of the existing render systems?

If the latter is true, does that mean NoesisGUI will work on OpenGL on Windows in Ogre as well once this render system is in place?

Once this is done, does this mean that everything will be rendered to geometry individually rather than to one giant quad?

Wolfmanfx
Topic Author

28 Feb 2012, 14:03

@jsantos
Yeah i want to start with real renderer but i have a few questions regarding the rendering itself but this is best discussed via skype.

@mario44
The idea is that we impl. an OGRE renderer which is not tied to any specific api - so in theory it could be used with any RS ogre supports.

jsantos
Site Admin

28 Feb 2012, 16:16

@mario44

NoesisGui always output triangles that need to be rendered by a gpu. In fact, those triangles can be oriented in 3d. For noesisgui, the renderer is a blackbox (behind the IRenderSystem interface). For this first beta, there is only a rendersystem implementation: directx9.

For Ogre the idea is implementing the rendersystem using the api offered. That way, as Wolfmanfx explains, NoesisGui would be usable wherever Ogre is avaliable.

mario44

28 Feb 2012, 20:18

When the NoesisGui is implemented as a Ogre render system, will it be possible to have user interfaces that are three dimensional in nature and are apart of the scene rather than as a HUD?

By that I mean, like in Dead Space:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m6q25GbFBRw