Keoush
Topic Author

Help about choosing a development platform for my project

27 Feb 2019, 21:39

Hi
I want to build a desktop cross-platform(Windows, Linux, MacOs) application for a scientific tool. communications(data transfer) between the tool and the desktop client are through the network using some protocols. amount of communications are considerably high. business processes of application are typical and normal. but the GUI must have some special features:
I- a real-time oscilloscope that should draw some data with a super fast transferring rate.
II- a real-time, procedural 3D image drawer by some raw data(line by line).
III- a real-time 3D model viewer that procedurally complete the model.
IV- some scientific cure viewer.

The project already implemented by C# and Windows only.
My searches until now conclude to two choices for developing cross-platform version by: QT(C++) or NoesisGUI(C#+Mono)
QT because of rich GUI element and NoesisGUI because of C#(less development time/effort compared to C++) and reuses of the built version of the project.

1. So do you think I can implement my GUI features by Noesis? are there appropriate libraries(for example for oscilloscope)?
2. what are the limitations of C# Noesis for my project? (compared to C++ Noesis)
3. Any suggestion for development platform?

Many thanks ...

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Help about choosing a development platform for my project

01 Mar 2019, 12:57

1. So do you think I can implement my GUI features by Noesis? are there appropriate libraries(for example for oscilloscope)?
Yes, sure. That's what Noesis is for. You don't specify the features but we have big projects being developed with NoesisGUI. Regarding the oscilloscope, we don't provide that. NoesisGUI is a minimal, performant UI layer. This is different from QT that is a development framework that includes everything, not only the GUI. Our philosophy is a bit different regarding this point.
2. what are the limitations of C# Noesis for my project? (compared to C++ Noesis)
The C# SDK is layered on top of the C++ library, so the features should be the same. There are a few things not implemented though, like a a few virtual functions in classes, but all those cases should be considered a bug, we will fix all of them.
3. Any suggestion for development platform?
You can develop in Visual Studio + Blend using a few preprocessor macros.. The API is almost the same, today we are going to drop NuGet packages for the new 2.2 beta, I recommend you downloading our samples to discover how we structure our projects.

Thanks!