bastos80
Topic Author

Any support planned for Noesis GUI on .NET Core 3 (and eventually 5) without Xamarin on macOS (or iOS or Android)?

13 Oct 2019, 17:02

In preparation of Mono apparently going the way of the dodo with .NET 5 (https://devblogs.microsoft.com/dotnet/i ... ing-net-5/), are there any plans to support macOS directly or will Xamarin.Mac remain a required dependency for Noesis.App.Displays.AppKit/Noesis.App.RenderContexts.MTL?

Since I suspect Xamarin.Mac will just be there for the managed bindings to AppKit and the other *Kit APIs in the future (Mono will be replaced with the .NET 5 runtime), I would much prefer just cutting out Xamarin all together and work straight from .NET Core 3/.NET 5 when targeting macOS. I imagine the interaction of Noesis GUI with Xamarin.Mac is quite minimal (create a window, handle input, etc.).

Any chances of this happening?

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Any support planned for Noesis GUI on .NET Core 3 (and eventually 5) without Xamarin on macOS (or iOS or Android)?

14 Oct 2019, 08:28

Everything under the NoesisApp namespace (like Display and RenderContext implementations) is not part of Noesis core library and can be replaced. We use NoesisApp as a small application framework for all our examples but there are projects using Noesis without it. For example, all our Unity implemetation or the MonoGame bindings used in Cryofall among others.

So, yes, Xamarin is not strictly needed.