ericbowman
Topic Author

Trying to get unreal engine plugin working.

22 Jun 2020, 23:09

I have just installed the plugin from the GIT repo. When launch my project after enabling the plugin I get the following message:
The following modules are missing or built with a different engine version:

NoesisRuntime
NoesisEditor

Would you like to rebuild them now?
I click yes and I get the following message:
******** could not be compiled. Try rebuilding from source manually.
Anyone know how I should proceed?

hcpizzi
Site Admin

Re: Trying to get unreal engine plugin working.

23 Jun 2020, 11:05

Hi ericbowman,

We are aware of an issue whereby the plugin won't be build if the project is Blueprint only. Unreal's behavior in this situation has changed, since it used to build missing plugin modules even for projects without native code. Is that your case? From our next release for Unreal 4.25 onward we will include prebuilt binaries in the zipped plugin you can download from the Downloads section of this portal.

For the time being, there are two workarounds: You can build the plugin running the InstallPlugin.bat. You need python 2.7 or 3.6 installed and on your system path for it to work. You can run InstallPythonPrerequisites.bat to check python is installed and install the required modules. Alternatively you can create a C++ Unreal project, and use it to build the plugin, then move it to your Blueprint only project.

Please, let us know if any of these workarounds allow you to proceed for now. We'll look into streamlining the process for GitHub users as well in the future.

ericbowman
Topic Author

23 Jun 2020, 19:59

I have run through those steps and I created a blank c++ project with the same results.

Does it matter that I've isntalled it as an engine plugin rather than a project plugin?

asusralis

23 Jun 2020, 20:35

I remember getting this exact message a few days ago until I realized I needed to install it as a project plugin. Once I did that, it worked. It says this on the github page:
With versions of Unreal Engine built from the source code in GitHub you can use the NoesisGUI Unreal Engine plugin as either an Engine plugin or a Project (Game) plugin. However, if you're using an Epic Games Launcher version of the engine, you can only install the plugin as a Project plugin. For more information about Unreal Engine Plugins, please refer to the Plugins documentation.

hcpizzi
Site Admin

23 Jun 2020, 21:20

As asusralis points out, building as an engine plugin with a Launcher version of the engine is currently not supported. You can still do the same trick: Create a C++ project, install it as a project plugin and build it, then you can copy it to the engine to use with every project.

ericbowman
Topic Author

23 Jun 2020, 22:18

I'm looking for the simplest way to get this going. I followed the folder path and instructions specified in the github repo. does the repo explain how to set it up as an engine plugin or as a project plugin?

hcpizzi
Site Admin

24 Jun 2020, 00:02

There's a link to this Unreal document that explains it: https://docs.unrealengine.com/en-US/Pro ... index.html

The relevant bit is: When you install it as an engine plugin, you place it in /[UE4 Root]/Engine/Plugins/NoesisGUI/, while to install it as a game plugin you place it in [Project Root]/Plugins/NoesisGUI/

The easiest way to get started for now is to create a C++ project and install the plugin as a game plugin for that project.

ericbowman
Topic Author

24 Jun 2020, 19:32

Thank you for the help!

I've made progress. I have changed it to a project plugin (in a blank project for now, just to get things working). I got the same error, so I opened up the project in visual studio and tried building there. That showed me some things wrong with my directory structure which I have fixed.

now I get the following error message upon compiling:
C1083 Cannot open include file: 'NoesisPCH.h': No such file or directory

hcpizzi
Site Admin

24 Jun 2020, 20:34

You need to install the Noesis SDK inside NoesisGUI/Source/Noesis/NoesisSDK

You can download the latest version from here: https://noesisengine.com/developers/downloads.php

Alternatively you can download an UE4 plugin package with the plugin code and the SDK from the same location. That package will contain the built binaries from the next release to make it possible to use in Blueprint projects out of the box.

ericbowman
Topic Author

24 Jun 2020, 22:32

I could swear I did that, but the file's not there so I must have done something wrong.