satorp
Topic Author

How to inspect MenuItem properties using Inspector

12 Jan 2021, 07:15

Hi,

I have trouble inspecting MenuItem properties by Inspector because they seem to be removed from the visual tree once the focus is shifted to Inspector (and the menu is closed). It's possible to use the Track focused element feature to open and show the MenuItem properties automatically, but not its sub-elements (the sub-element properties will be displayed as blank).

By combining focus tracking, mouse selection, and using keyboard to navigate through the menu items, I was able to get into the sub-elements, but it's very hard to do, and I've found that sometimes the Inspector will crash (happens quite often).

I think it will be nice to have a feature to disable live update, i.e. to capture the visual tree at a specific moment, probably along with a delayed (timer) capture feature.

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: How to inspect MenuItem properties using Inspector

15 Jan 2021, 10:41

Hi, and sorry for the late reply.
I have trouble inspecting MenuItem properties by Inspector because they seem to be removed from the visual tree once the focus is shifted to Inspector (and the menu is closed).
Yes, this is something we need to think about, maybe as you said some way to capture state or pause inspector updates so you can analyze the application at a specific point.

In the meantime there is still a way to inspect menu items because the Inspector tool can connect from any device in the network, so you can use two computers, or even in the same computer using the Microsoft Windows Simulator:
C:\Program Files (x86)\Common Files\microsoft shared\Windows Simulator\16.0\Microsoft.Windows.Simulator.exe
I've found that sometimes the Inspector will crash (happens quite often)
Sorry for the inconveniences. We think this tool is very important for the customers productivity, so it would help us a lot to improve it if you can generate a minidump when the inspector crashes and report it in our bugtracker.

Thanks a lot for the feedback.

satorp
Topic Author

20 Jan 2021, 17:36

@sfernandez
Thanks for the reply. I think using Inspector on network is a viable workaround for this case.
Sorry for the inconveniences. We think this tool is very important for the customers productivity, so it would help us a lot to improve it if you can generate a minidump when the inspector crashes and report it in our bugtracker.
I've filed two issues related to this 1892 and 1895. Since they're highly reproducible, I've omitted the minidump. Hope it helps.

sfernandez
Site Admin

22 Jan 2021, 11:47

Thanks for reporting.