BartekW
Topic Author

How to create xaml dynamically based on controls

29 Apr 2021, 14:03

Hey, how to create .xaml view based on current focused control?
If I have 4 buttons and I click one I want to show the content assigned to this button. I probably should use Content Presenter but how to bind it and where to define the content to each button?

KeldorKatarn

Re: How to create xaml dynamically based on controls

29 Apr 2021, 20:12

Last edited by KeldorKatarn on 29 Apr 2021, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

KeldorKatarn

29 Apr 2021, 20:40

If it needs to be based on some data or something this can also work:

ContentPresenter is not a control you want to use directly in a view. It is a placeholder for the controltemplate of a contentcontrol. It represents the place where that control
will put its content. So it's only for use inside a controltemplate.

ContentControl is what you're looking for as you can see in the examples.

BartekW
Topic Author

29 Apr 2021, 21:04

Thanks I rly appreciate becouse I rly wasted a lot of time! I hope it works also on UserControls right?

KeldorKatarn

29 Apr 2021, 21:08

Absolutely. In fact that's usually how you do nesting of controls and navigation in WPF applications. Usually you do some databinding and work with viewmodels however.
In fact I'm currently working on a framework for that.

But the idea is basically you have a viewmodel, which has a property of child content whch is another viewmodel.
Now you assign a datatemplate for each of your viewmodels like this:
<DataTemplate DataType="{x:Type ns:MyViewModelType}">
  <ns:MyUserControl />
</DataTemplate>
And then you bind the content of your contentcontrol, your 'host' area, to that property. Everytime the mainviewmodel switches to a new child viewmodel, the change is reflected in
the view, as the contentcontrol looks up a new datatemplate matching the new viewmodel.

That's a very widely used standard workflow in WPF applications to split the application into separate sub views that can be navigated in between.

BartekW
Topic Author

29 Apr 2021, 22:41

Yea I know the idea of ViewModel but it is usable for minicontent? I mean e.g grid 800x600 where current content should be showed?
And another thing. I have created user control and add to my view as <UserControls:MyControl/> and when noesis renders in .exe it doesnt show up :/ I have created even class and register it in main. But the constructor doesnt fire up, so GUI::LoadComponent cant fire up too. And Idk what to do.

Edit. Yea now my LoadComponent works, I had just bad .xaml name given, sorry :)