KeldorKatarn
Topic Author

Trouble Building the C++ SDK

14 May 2021, 11:38

I'm having some trouble building the C++ SDK Solution with the samples.
The NoesisApp project basically complains that it's not a win32 executable, the others all fail complaining there is no ucrtbased.dll to be found.
I'm trying to build with VS 2019 and retargeted the solution to my current Windows SDK. It builds but nothing runs.

Edit: I seem to be more rusty than I thought. It'll take me ages to wrap my head around how an integration of this would work... Implementing the render device seems to be quite a bit too low level for me. I need to familiarize myself with that kind of API again.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Trouble Building the C++ SDK

14 May 2021, 12:13

Make sure you are compiling the solution located at %SDK_ROOT%/Build/NoesisGUI-win-x86_64.sln (if you want Windows 64-bits for example).

Compatibility support for Visual 2019 is coming with NoesisGUI 3.1, although upgrading from 2017 *should* work. At least, nobody complained.

KeldorKatarn
Topic Author

14 May 2021, 12:33

Nevermind, Visual Studio messed up the SDK installation apparently. I googled and some had this problem. A repair installation + adding Game Development in C++ to make completely sure cause it to reinstall the latest WinSDK. Apparently VS had messed something up before and was missing some stuff. It runs fine now. Now trying to figure out how to build a small example app and then trying my best to integrate this into something.

How important is it to write your own render device. The sample implementation of the OpenGL one, is that usable as is?

jsantos
Site Admin

14 May 2021, 13:36

How important is it to write your own render device. The sample implementation of the OpenGL one, is that usable as is?
I would wait before writing your own render device because it takes time and our reference renderers are quite fast. It makes sense if you already have a GPU abstraction and want to have Noesis using that abstraction. If you don't need that or the extra control that a custom implementation provides, I would use our renderers and tweak them depending on what you need.