KeldorKatarn
Topic Author

Trouble understanding what exactle the Application Framework is

16 May 2021, 04:34

Ok so maybe i'm a bit stupid here but I'm trying to get a very simple Hello World screen to show up in an existing game that I try to integrate Noesis into.
But the tutorials are really hard to understand for me. It mentions the Application framework tons of times basically telling me "oh yeah this is complicated but our app framework has an implementation"... but then all the samples I look at including the integration one seem to build an app from scratch.
So It's really hard for me to understand what's reference application and what's the integration part.

I don't need to create a window or a display (unless I missunderstand what a display is supposed to be).

I have an existing application and I want to integrate noesis. And I absolutely cannot understand based on the documentation how to do that, what parts from the Application Framework are useful and should be used and if so in what headers they are and what is redundant beause it's meant to create an application from scratch.

I really wish those already implemented render contexts and such were just part of regular Noesis.lib. Why is that in an app framework? I feel the app framework should purely be about a main loop and setting up an application. Why do I have to play mix and match trying to integrate it into an exising app while avoiding to create my own RenderDevice implementation?

It's really hard to wrap my head around this, being out of C++ for ages makes it hard enough but I really cannot follow these tutiorials at all. The tutorial constantly mentions the app framework without making it clear what parts I need, which parts I don't need and why I would even implement all this from scratch myself to begin with.

Any help would be appreciated, I feel really stupid right now staring at this.<

(I really do remember why I turned my back on C++... jesus is this a pain compared to a simple NuGet include in .NET world... feels like i'm back in the 70s every time I turn to this stuff sigh)

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Trouble understanding what exactle the Application Framework is

18 May 2021, 11:04

Ok so maybe i'm a bit stupid here but I'm trying to get a very simple Hello World screen to show up in an existing game that I try to integrate Noesis into.
But the tutorials are really hard to understand for me. It mentions the Application framework tons of times basically telling me "oh yeah this is complicated but our app framework has an implementation"... but then all the samples I look at including the integration one seem to build an app from scratch.
With the exception of IntegrationGLUT, all our examples use the application framework. The application is under the NoesisApp namespace and it contains everything needed by our examples like:
  • Entry point for the application
  • Main loop
  • Native window implementation including events and IME keyboard
  • Graphics initialization (RenderContext)
  • Renderers for each supported platform
  • Sounds
  • Interactivty package
So It's really hard for me to understand what's reference application and what's the integration part.
Core library goes inside Noesis namespace and source code is not available (it can be licensed). The App framework is open source.
I really wish those already implemented render contexts and such were just part of regular Noesis.lib. Why is that in an app framework? I feel the app framework should purely be about a main loop and setting up an application. Why do I have to play mix and match trying to integrate it into an exising app while avoiding to create my own RenderDevice implementation?
RenderContext and RenderDevice are not part of the core library because you are supposed to provide your own implementations. Noesis.lib is operating system and graphics API agnostic. You are supposed to inject everything. Exactly as we are doing for our own examples.