chrisk
Topic Author

Unreal Utility Widget

07 Aug 2021, 06:19

Hi, I've used NoesisGUI long time ago and it seems NoesisGUI has come a long way.
At that time I was using Unity and Unity provided many options for GUI and I didn't really feel that I need to use NoesisGUI.
But now, I'm working on Unreal project and I must say, UMG user experience is really bad, and Unreal seems like they have stopped improving it.
I'm really glad that you guys are still very alive and kicking and I would like to give NoesisGUI a chance.

I think NoesisGUI provides a very good GUI solution in general and why stop at creating game UI.
I'm wondering if we can use it to create Editor UI.
There is something called Utility Widget to create Editor GUI.

Is it possible to create Editor GUI using Noesis as well?
It would be really awesome if we could.

Thanks for your support.
Cheers!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Unreal Utility Widget

09 Aug 2021, 16:04

Theoretically yes, it is possible but we didn't have time to explore this so far. Unreal integration is open sourced so nothing stops you from trying yourself until we have time to properly support this.

Thank you!

chrisk
Topic Author

09 Aug 2021, 16:33

Hi, Thanks for the reply.

I was going to write tools in NoesisGUI if it was possible. Right now, I'm not even sure where to start.
If you have a very simple Editor example (a button in NoesisGUI) in the future, that should be good enough.
If not, it's ok. I'll just have to make a very ugly Editor tool in UMG. ^^
Thanks

jsantos
Site Admin

10 Aug 2021, 12:07

I am pretty sure it is possible, but you need a deep understanding of Noesis architecture (I recommend reading our integration tutorial) and find a way to render Unreal UI into a GPU texture.

For now, this is low-priority for us, but as said, we will find time in the future to investigate this.