MarkSim
Topic Author

Preload large PNGs to reduce UI stutter?

01 Sep 2021, 12:29

When I open a view containing large PNGs, the UI pauses (the animations stutter) while they are loaded and processed. These particular PNGs are not specified in the XAML; the ImageSource can change so it is a bound value.

I've managed to reduce the problem to it only happening the first time I use any particular PNGs by caching the Ptr<BitmapImage> used by filename. So for a particular PNG, like "test1.png", the same Ptr<BitmapImage> will be returned. I'm guessing Noesis recognises this and uses its internal cache to get the PNG data previously loaded..

There is a point in the code where I could preload these images without any ill effect. Is there any way I can get Noesis to preload and preprocess the BitmapImage in code without having to do some horrible hack like rending all the files invisibly in a parent view?

I currently do bitmapImage->Init() when I cache it, which I can see calls the TextureProvider to get info like width and height ... if only there was a similar call to load and process the whole thing... Or to shell that processes out to a thread..?

Thanks!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Preload large PNGs to reduce UI stutter?

01 Sep 2021, 12:47

Are you implementing your own TextureProvider? Because that way you can preload whatever you may need. You can also load the texture in a different thread and once it it ready you can use the Reload mechanism available in that API.

MarkSim
Topic Author

01 Sep 2021, 13:56

Ah! Good point, I will give that a try. Thanks :-)

MarkSim
Topic Author

02 Sep 2021, 19:17

Is RaiseTextureChanged() thread safe? I mean - can I call it from my Worker Thread once it has finished loading? Or is it better to somehow signal the main thread to call it?

jsantos
Site Admin

03 Sep 2021, 13:06

It is not thread-safe. You need to invoke it from the main thread.