stonstad
Topic Author

Noesis vs .NET MAUI

06 Jan 2022, 12:52

I'm very pleased with Noesis. It has unlocked cross-platform reach for my development and has brought incredible capabilities to Unity.

Now that Microsoft has stabilized .NET Multi-platform App UI (.NET MAUI) -- a decade to bring XAML to other platforms after the demise of Silverlight -- how does the Noesis team see their product evolving over time? I am asking from a perspective of features, capabilities, and performance. It is clear that for any clients I work with on the Unity platform they will continue to use Noesis. For mobile, the answer is less clear and there are arguments for and against.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Noesis vs .NET MAUI

10 Jan 2022, 18:07

Hey!

As far as I understand .NET MAUI is an evolution of Xamarin, something totally different to NoesisGUI because they render with native controls and Noesis renders with the GPU (D3D, OpenGL, Metal, etc). We try to provide the exactly same aspect in all platforms. This approach is very compatible with games and realtime apps and this is the category where we want to keep pushing.

Regarding performance I think NoesisGUI is far ahead of competitors and we want to continue in this direction with the upcoming versions. These are the most important things that are going to happen around Noesis in the upcoming major versions (at least what we are trying to, please don't take this as a serious roadmap)
  • Improved integration with VR/AR, support for 3D objects and lighting.
  • A new editor created with NoesisGUI, replacing Blend.
  • Keep extending XAML with our own vision.
  • Official integration with more engines (a few surprises here :) )

stonstad
Topic Author

Re: Noesis vs .NET MAUI

10 Jan 2022, 19:17

I appreciate your response. This all makes sense and is very exciting to hear! I am particularly excited to use a Noesis editor -- this will be hugely beneficial for my workflows.