mike-startup
Topic Author

Unable to build UE project

22 Jan 2022, 21:11

I was able to download and run the Samples project in UE5. In order to run in UE5 Unreal did convert the sample project and rebuild, so assume at some level everything is able to build correctly.

However, if I open the project in either Visual Studio or Rider (rather than opening directly in Unreal) I am not able to build.

I get the following two errors:
Error Unhandled exception: System.ComponentModel.Win32Exception (5): Access is denied. Samples C:\Development\Ngui\Intermediate\ProjectFiles\UnrealBuildTool 1

Error MSB3073 The command ""C:\Program Files\Epic Games\UE_5.0EA\Engine\Build\BatchFiles\Build.bat" SamplesEditor Win64 Development -Project="C:\Development\Ngui\Samples.uproject" -WaitMutex -FromMsBuild" exited with code 6. Samples C:\Program Files (x86)\Microsoft Visual Studio\2019\Community\MSBuild\Microsoft\VC\v160\Microsoft.MakeFile.Targets 45

Also, looking through the log for Rider, there is a mention of not finding some .bat file that gives the .net location.

Any idea what this means and how I could resolve it?

hcpizzi
Site Admin

Re: Unable to build UE project

24 Jan 2022, 17:55

Hi,

I haven't seen this one before. Could you try moving your UE5 installation outside C:\Program Files? Modern versions of Windows seem to be very picky about what can be done in thos directories. Perhaps one of the scripts is trying to write something and it's not allowed.

mike-startup
Topic Author

25 Jan 2022, 01:51

I was testing it out more. Things work as expected (successful building) when running on UE4.27, which is also located in that program files location. So it must be something able how UE5 builds.

There is a really interesting outcome if I change the C++ code for the logic of the User Component of the sample and load it in UE5. In this case I can compile successfully in-engine (compile button in the editor) and run it to see the impact of my changes. However, Visual Studio / Rider continue to be unable to build outside of the engine.

edit:
Turns out that I can build from Visual Studio / Rider if I pick the game only and not the editor version. This tracks as in editor building is not going to be rebuilding itself.

Question is why would Noesis has issues building in any of the 'Editor' configurations for UE5? There are features of UE5 that are very relevant to my project so I don't want to move to 4.27. The early access UE5 projects will be supported on the final UE5 version.

jsantos
Site Admin

26 Jan 2022, 11:30

Could you try moving your UE5 installation outside C:\Program Files?
Did you also try this?

sfernandez
Site Admin

26 Jan 2022, 12:31

From the error it seems that the build process has problems accessing the Intermediate folder in your project, trying to write or delete something there. Maybe you can increase MSBuild log verbosity in Visual Studio to get a bit more information of the cause of the error.
Could you check that project folder has the correct user permisions. And also make sure you don't have the project opened twice, or in Visual and Rider at the same time.
Have you tried to remove the Intermediate folder and regenerate the project files?

In my tests I can correctly build the project in Visual Studio 2019. And the message about "GetDotnetPath.bat"' not recognized as an internal or external command doesn't seem to affect the build.

mike-startup
Topic Author

27 Jan 2022, 07:27

The issue is fixed when I run Rider as administrator, so thanks for your guidance to focus on the permission aspect.

I still don't understand why this is happening given all the below facts
- Nothing like this when building any non-noesis projects in UE5... until I add the noesis plugin to it
- Nothing like this when building noesis projects in UE4.27
- Changing permissions to be everything for every user on UE5 location and Project location has no effect
- It only happens when I run in Editor configurations and never on game build only

But I suppose I will ignore this mystery for now and be working in admin mode for a bit