XaeroDegreaz
Topic Author

ListBox item recycling for large lists

18 Dec 2013, 05:14

Hi guys, great tool :)

After banging my head due to performance issues with " the other guys' " Unity GUI solutions, I stumbled across this and figured I'd check it out. My biggest problems with any of the solutions is the slowness, and amount of memory chew used by lists with several hundred (potentially thousands of) complex child items. Especially on mobile devices.

I finally got NeosisGUI up and running, and after familiarizing myself with the docs, and doing some research on WPF as a whole, I finally had enough information to begin designing a test.

I created a StackPanel, and added a ListBox as a child. I found a ListBox property called VirtualizingStackPanel.VirtualizationMode that is supposed to recycle child views, however NeosisGUI complains that it is an unknown property. I've also tried VirtualizingPanel.VirtualizationMode, and get the same response.

I understand that this is not a complete 1:1 port of the WPF framework, and get that there are some unimplemented features.

Are you guys using some other solution for recycling ListBox children, instead? I looked through the API, and nothing popped out at me for this functionality. I would hate to have to roll my own recycling mechanism, as I've already written a really good one with another GUI solution, but they are using OnGUI; I'm trying to get as far away from OnGUI as I can!

Increasing list performance by recycling is a huge deal for any application, and it's great to see that there is such a robust system for this in WPF (with data binding, and all of that). I'd love to see this feature implemented before I can take the dive and give you all of my money ;)

Thanks in advance for your response.

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: ListBox item recycling for large lists

18 Dec 2013, 20:48

Hi,

Virtualization is not yet implemented, it is in our feature list, so will be available soon.
Meanwhile you will have to use your own recycling mechanism to avoid creating/destroying memory continuosly.

Thanks for considering our product for your work :)

XaeroDegreaz
Topic Author

24 Aug 2016, 04:38

Hello again,

It's been a few years and I'm coming back to doing some work on unity.

I was wondering if this virtual scrolling was ever implemented?

sfernandez
Site Admin

24 Aug 2016, 06:47

Hi, welcome back :)

Since 1.2.6 version we have support for ItemControl virtualization. And it is automatically enabled for ListBox and ListView controls by using a VirtualizingStackPanel as items host.

XaeroDegreaz
Topic Author

24 Aug 2016, 07:08

Thanks for the prompt answer, and congrats for the work on getting virtual scrolling going!

Am I to understand that I must now start downloading the asset project through this website instead of the Unity Asset Store?

Thanks again

sfernandez
Site Admin

24 Aug 2016, 16:58

Yes, the latest version available will be posted on our forums. You should download it from here.
You're welcome :)

whidbey

02 Jun 2019, 06:16

Yes, the latest version available will be posted on our forums. You should download it from here.
You're welcome :)
do you mean gridview could support realtime and large items?

sfernandez
Site Admin

02 Jun 2019, 11:46

Yes, we have VirtualizingStackPanel implemented and it is the default items panel for ListBox and ListView. You can also manually use it any ItemsControl by specifying it in the ItemsPanel property.
This means only visible items are generated and layout, so you can load lists with hundreds of items pretty fast.

whidbey

02 Jun 2019, 14:43

Yes, we have VirtualizingStackPanel implemented and it is the default items panel for ListBox and ListView. You can also manually use it any ItemsControl by specifying it in the ItemsPanel property.
This means only visible items are generated and layout, so you can load lists with hundreds of items pretty fast.
as it's mvvm model. suppose I have 1000 rows data and refresh every second ,just the visual part do effect right?
I have some headache in MFC using a timer to refresh the UI .
if this feature is comfirm, noesis really is amazing.

whidbey

02 Jun 2019, 14:52

and is there a simple demo/samples can I find?thanks