Sinae
Topic Author

font rendering

25 Dec 2013, 13:23

i didn't test yet but

What about font rendering quality? It might not be as important for games but it's one of the most important aspect of any application with text.

i ask since it was a plague of wpf for ages until they fixed it (kinda) only in last version..

I just want to make sure you did not make the same mistake..

if it's not as good as the best (ios,android,wpf4), fix this as soon as you can since it's primordial for any acceptable application UI framework...

this image font is really weak and its troubling me i have to admit
http://www.noesisengine.com/img/ngf_img_006_big.jpg

..edit after some more research : i saw in some blog that your using freetype font rendering engine..
I wonder.. Does adobe CFF font rasterized is possible in noesisGUI and how does it fare?

https://blogs.adobe.com/typblography/20 ... etype.html

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: font rendering

28 Dec 2013, 01:18

The images on the web may differ on the actual state of the product.
We did some improvements to text rendering in our first releases and the current text quality is a lot better.

Here you have some examples (open in a new browser tab/window to see images in full resolution):
text-1.1.3.png
text-sizes-1.1.3.png

Sinae
Topic Author

28 Dec 2013, 08:05

cool seem acceptable, I was just making sure it's as good or better than the best font rendering out there...

There is nothing worst than to finish a product and find out that just because of font rendering of the engine it will never look as good as other pro applications.. (until they fix it 1-2 year after)

jsantos
Site Admin

28 Dec 2013, 10:25

..edit after some more research : i saw in some blog that your using freetype font rendering engine..
I wonder.. Does adobe CFF font rasterized is possible in noesisGUI and how does it fare?
We haven't tried. It should be possible, because we are using FreeType 2.4.12, version where that code from Adobe and Google is already present (although disabled by default). Although probably we will upgrade to FreeType 2.5.x some day. For now, this is low priority but if you become a customer and this feature is critical for you we can reevaluate priorities.

Thanks!

jsantos
Site Admin

28 Dec 2013, 10:27

cool seem acceptable, I was just making sure it's as good or better than the best font rendering out there...
There is a lot of energy dedicated to text rendering in noesisGUI. Many tweaks and improvements on top of FreeType. Just download a trial and evaluate yourself. I am sure you will like it. 8-)

Sinae
Topic Author

29 Dec 2013, 05:29

Nice.. i'm waiting for the xamarin + mvvmcross(binding) integration :)

afterward, if everything is ultra fast and stable, i'm all aboard.