Spectrum007
Topic Author

License Confusion

04 Jan 2014, 14:52

Hi,
I am trying to understand the license model.

I am mainly concerned with Unity vs Indie

Does Indy not need unity? ie a business application?

If I don't need unity, would I need to buy anything else to do a business application?

As you know I have followed this project since the beginning, it has come a very long way since you first started.

David

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: License Confusion

04 Jan 2014, 16:43

Hi David,

Basically you can license noesisGUI in two ways:
  • If you are only interested in Unity, you can buy using the Unity Asset Store. This license is per seat, forcing you to buy a license in each machine (programmer or not) using the noesisGUI runtime. The support offered in this license is limited and typical premium options (like source code, 24h response, skype chat, etc) are not available.
  • You can also buy via our web. In case you are interested in the native sdk this is the unique option. In our web we offer a per project license, meaning that you have to buy a new license for each project. The cost of this license is proportional to the budget of the project and it is the option that is being taken by big companies (dedicated support, option of source code).
Our Indie license (suited for individuals) includes everything (unity + native).

If you tell more about your needs I will try to help.

Thanks!

Spectrum007
Topic Author

04 Jan 2014, 17:44

Thank you. That helps a little, but I am still confused.

With Unity - I have to make projects using the unity engine - will that work with ANY platform that unity supports? iphone, android, linix, and xbox?

With Indie - Can I make a single xaml window application, compile with visual studio and publish directly to iphone, android, linix and xbox? Or do I need something else for it to work?

We are a small development house that would like to make small applications such as a boat speed calculator or a program to screen calls - Wife only mode all others go to voice mail.

$250 per project is a bit expensive... We do about 250k/year but that is from other projects.

I would also want to port our Silverlight based game - which is a hobby, I have yet to cover the server costs with the subscriptions.

Spectrum007
Topic Author

06 Jan 2014, 15:49

Maybe my question relates to native...

Please explain native

jsantos
Site Admin

07 Jan 2014, 15:14

With Unity - I have to make projects using the unity engine - will that work with ANY platform that unity supports? iphone, android, linix, and xbox?
For now we only support the following platforms: windows,osx,iphone,android an linux.

The same for native.
With Indie - Can I make a single xaml window application, compile with visual studio and publish directly to iphone, android, linix and xbox? Or do I need something else for it to work?
Yes, the indice license include all platforms with and without Unity. You can make a xaml application using the native SDK and publish directly in all the platforms (xbox is yet not supported).
We are a small development house that would like to make small applications such as a boat speed calculator or a program to screen calls - Wife only mode all others go to voice mail.
$250 per project is a bit expensive... We do about 250k/year but that is from other projects.
If you are going to develop more than one application we can arrange special prices suited for your company. We can discuss this in private in you are interested.
I would also want to port our Silverlight based game - which is a hobby, I have yet to cover the server costs with the subscriptions.
For this case, you will need a indie license.
Maybe my question relates to native...
Please explain native
The native SDK is for C++ development. It includes header and libraries to link with your application.
The Unity SDK is a unitypackage that offers a C# API to interact with noesisGUI.

All our licenses bought from our webpage include both API. Packages bought from the Unity Asset Store include only the Unity SDK.

Both, native and unity, SDKS support the same number of platforms.

By the way, we are considering your doubts to improve our documentation about licenses. Thanks!