joshmond
Topic Author

NoesisGUI and Unity UI Problem

17 Oct 2022, 02:54

Hello, I have installed NoesisGUI for Unity and I am trying to go through the minimap tutorial on your channel. All seems well but I have run into a weird issue. I have my minimap situated at the top right of my screen and the view is attached to the main camera but everytime I move, the UI shakes and it clips. Below I have provided some images of the problem.

https://imgur.com/a/RX2pa2k

Edit: I think I have found the issue. The new version of the FPS asset I am using seems to be using Post Processing with the Universal Render Pipeline, so I think camera stacking may be needed. However, after following the guide in the Unity section, I still wasn't able to get it to stop shaking. The minimap UI also disappears when you look up. I have included my version of the project, if that helps.

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

The Scene I am working on is "MainMenu UI Update"

Thanks

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: NoesisGUI and Unity UI Problem

17 Oct 2022, 12:36

Are you able to reproduce this without using extra packages?

In the screenshots you attached, it seems the 3D render is also being clipped.

joshmond
Topic Author

17 Oct 2022, 12:40

I'm not sure, I just started a blank Unity project and installed both NoesisGUI and the FPS package, so I could follow along with the tutorial. As far as I'm aware I'm not using extra packages, just what the FPS asset comes with. I have edited my first post to include a download link to the project, so you can see how I've set up the UI camera (encase the issue is to do with the URP and post processing). I am also not sure how to solve the clipping issue?

joshmond
Topic Author

17 Oct 2022, 17:31

I have managed to fix my issue, so you can mark this as solved. The issue I was having in my camera stack was due to the order of the UI camera. I do have a few questions though which may be an issue with the way my Noesis has installed. The first problem is when opening the solution in Blend, instead of opening in Blend it opens in Visual Studio and from there I have to choose "Design in Blend", rather than just having Blend load up. The second issue that I seem to be having that the video does not have is the "hot reloading" XAML feature. I do not see my XAML view in the editor or game view. In order to see the results, I need to play the game.

Do you have any idea why the hot reloading/preview is not working or updating without entering play mode?

jsantos
Site Admin

19 Oct 2022, 01:08

The first problem is when opening the solution in Blend, instead of opening in Blend it opens in Visual Studio and from there I have to choose "Design in Blend", rather than just having Blend load up.
Is this the solution automatically generated by our plugin or the solutions of the examples included in the package? I want to recheck everything. I am testing right now on my machine and it is correctly opening Blend.
The second issue that I seem to be having that the video does not have is the "hot reloading" XAML feature. I do not see my XAML view in the editor or game view. In order to see the results, I need to play the game.
Yes, that's correct. Noesis Views only renders when playing the game. And only when playing you can use Hot-Reload.

joshmond
Topic Author

19 Oct 2022, 13:34

I have got everything to work properly now,it took me a while to figure out but the problem was on my end and Visual Studio. I ended up removing it and re-installing the 2019 version as opposed to the current 2020 version (This way I have access to the Noesis extension). It's good to know that the hot reloading takes place while the game is running.

One thing I would like to know with the mini map tutorial (that's currently what I'm following) is when I maximise on play, there seems to be a gap in the top-right. For some reason the UIdoesn't seem to scale with resolution properly, is that down to not using specific controls (for instance viewboxes)? When I play the game on windows mode, I need to increase my window size in order to see my minimap/view rather than the minimap just resizing based on resolution/aspect ratio.

I would also like to know if the code for the minimap tutorial is available? The code is shown for the ViewModel and the other script but not in full and I couldn't find that tutorial/example on the NoesisGUI GitHub or in the description.

sfernandez
Site Admin

20 Oct 2022, 10:52

when I maximise on play, there seems to be a gap in the top-right. For some reason the UI doesn't seem to scale with resolution properly, is that down to not using specific controls (for instance viewboxes)? When I play the game on windows mode, I need to increase my window size in order to see my minimap/view rather than the minimap just resizing based on resolution/aspect ratio.
As I mentioned in your other post, this looks like you have set a fixed Width/Height in the root of your XAML, in the UserControl.
I would also like to know if the code for the minimap tutorial is available? The code is shown for the ViewModel and the other script but not in full and I couldn't find that tutorial/example on the NoesisGUI GitHub or in the description.
We'll prepare the sources and upload them to the Showcase section later today.

joshmond
Topic Author

20 Oct 2022, 11:48

Thanks a lot for your help. Much appreciated

sfernandez
Site Admin

24 Oct 2022, 11:48

Hi, we've uploaded the MiniMap project with sources, you can find it in our Showcase section: viewtopic.php?t=2772