jc_lvngstn
Topic Author

Gamma vs Linear lighting

17 Jan 2014, 22:00

I've noticed that when Linear lighting is enabled, turning my camera view to look around causes the Noesis windows and elements go flicker. Additionally, compared to gamma color space, when in Linear all of my colors are lighter and more washed out.
Maybe just my project, or does this happen with others?

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: Gamma vs Linear lighting

20 Jan 2014, 11:00

Hi,

I've tried both color space modes and noesisGUI seems to render exactly the same. The only thing that changes is the Unity scene. Look at the following images:

GAMMA Color Space
lion-gamma.png
LINEAR Color Space
lion-linear.png
And didn't notice any flickering too.

Could you please create a simple test scene where we can test these problems and report an issue in our bugtracker?

jc_lvngstn
Topic Author

20 Jan 2014, 15:28

Ok...turns it had to do with putting the UIPanel on my main camera, instead of a separate one.
My main camera has some other components on it, mainly Sunshine from the asset store. I decided to create a totally separate camera, positioned at 0,0,0. I set it to

Don't Clear
culling mask = Nothing
Projection: Ortho
Depth:0 (or 1, doesn't matter)

Anyway...this completely fixed my issue. Colors are great.
And I am not 100% sure...but I think performance is better. Maybe there was some issue with the interaction between Sunshine and Noesis, I don't know.

jsantos
Site Admin

20 Jan 2014, 16:04

Could you put back the UIPanel to the main camera and check if enabling/disabling the Sunshine component affects the rendering?

Thanks!

jc_lvngstn
Topic Author

20 Jan 2014, 16:47

Interesting. So maybe Sunshine wasn't to blame.
From the inspector at runtime, I disabled my new camera. Renabled the Noesis panel components on the original layer camera. Enabling/disabling sunshine seemed to have no effects.

Messed around with the projection mode, culling mask and such, and had mixed results. I know it's kind of vague. It also seems to matter if I modify the camera AFTER running, as opposed to when not playing.

jsantos
Site Admin

20 Jan 2014, 18:27

Good to know that it is not related to Sunshine. It would help us a lot if you could find a way to deterministically reproduce the problem.

Thanks!

jc_lvngstn
Topic Author

20 Jan 2014, 21:51

I'll see if I can duplicate with my small test project.

jc_lvngstn
Topic Author

22 Jan 2014, 03:35

I found I can duplicate this with a simple UI window. Set the lighting to Deferred, linear lighting. In your camera, have the culling mask set to Everything. Run the scene, and just rotate the main camera around the Y axis (spin it around). In my test scene, the light flickers from dark to light as you spin the camera around.
The only way I see to change this is to set the culling mask to Nothing.

sfernandez
Site Admin

23 Jan 2014, 12:33

Please create a ticket in the bugtracker and attach the test scene that reproduces the error.
Thanks for your collaboration.