Erio
Topic Author

NoesisGUI Unreal Engine 4 Plugin

23 Mar 2014, 12:37

Hey Everybody!

I know that this topic has been quite viewed and also I decided to update it a little bit. The first part of this post will concern the progress I am making about the plugin itself... Yes, I am working of a plugin for UE4. I hope I will succeed in doing so and that you guys will be able to use it to make the best GUIs ever seen in games and Real-Time applications with UE4! :D

At first, here is how I am approaching the issue right now. This is a first approach and there will probably be some others with the time. ;)

At the moment, I am planning on making am Actor Component derived from the StaticMeshComponent class that will take a plane as default. Why this ?
Then I will use NoesisGui to do a RenderToTexture on this plane and display the GUI. :)
It will allow to have true 3D UI to embed with your actors, players etc.

I might work after this on a plain 2D GUI that will do some direct draw. It will probably be easier.. But we'll see then. I hope to be able to progress a lot in the next days. :)

On a later step. I hope to be able to get the 3D mesh directly from NoesisGUI itself. It would be the most accurate way to get the UI in full 3D. and then use some of the UE4.4 feature such as mesh bending on it to allow to make some effect on it etc..

As of today, here he what has been done:

I spent a lot of time searching for how to do it in a way that would be working the best within UE4 ecosystem but also with NoesisGUI itself.

Then I started to design the plugin core class and interface. At the moment, the initialization of NoesisGUI in UE4 is complete, you can say that now it only needs to be ordered to draw. Well. I will be working on that very soon. ;D

Today, I started to work on it again, here is what I've done:

I created the component class and made it to be sure that it will be spawnable as a component. It have its own XAML category which name will probably change as the structure of everything changes as I get a better grip on everything.
It can be spawned and shows a very basic with default material plane right now. You can put more than one instance and even already place then in the front of the camera of a pawn and link it to the camera. It will follow the camera rotation etc. :D

A lot of things are still to do. But well. I will do my best to give you a nice plugin to use :D

To summarize:
Done:
  • Plugin that can be turned on/off in UE4 editor
    Init of NoesisGUI in UE4
    Creation of a XAML component that displays a 3D plane
    Possibility to embed the component in whatever actor you want
    NoesisGUI Error handler has been set as UE4 log under a NoesisLog category
    Fix the "trying to create UI renderer on the component before the module has finished loading"
    Partial NoesisGUI resources "auto-build system"
    Xaml Loading
Todo:
  • NoesisGUI Render to texture for Unreal Engine 4
    Custom material for the component
    2D GUI "direct draw"
    Bending effect (more comfortable for UI when near the Camera)
    "secure" the noesis init with the RHI as for now it only works with DX11
    Custom material support
    Use of NoesisGUI meshes instead of a plane
    Render of the XAMLs on the basic plane
    Finish and "secure" the "auto build system"
    Data binding
    XAMLs Event support
    Translation of XAMLs event into UE4 custom events
    [...] (more to come certainly somedays. :) )
I hope you'll like it. And I hope I'll be able to make it. I learn a lot at the same time I am doing it. :)

Erio.

EDIT: If anybody has advices or anything to say about it (finding the time too long to develop it, wondering about something on how it will work or whatever might the question be!). You're welcome. ;)
I promise you that I do not bite! :P

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Old Message:

Hello everybody,

Have anybody heard or ever tried to use NoesisGUI with the Unreal Engine ?

Does somebody have an idea if this might be possible or not ?

Thanks ! :)
Last edited by Erio on 14 Oct 2014, 07:20, edited 7 times in total.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: NoesisGUI + Unreal Engine (4) ?

23 Mar 2014, 21:17

It should be really easy following the Integration Tutorial.

We can help with all the probems if anyone is interested in trying than integration. For now, we cannot do it officially (low demand).

Thanks!

DigitalKarnage

24 Mar 2014, 16:41

If there is 'any' demand for this, i'm willing to put it to work. Although the Slate Gui system within UE4 is pretty good, it's no match for xaml, and noesis.

jsantos
Site Admin

25 Mar 2014, 11:08

Thanks for helping!

wckdspn

25 Mar 2014, 18:15

I was planning to give it a shot once Noesis supports DX11.

jsantos
Site Admin

26 Mar 2014, 00:19

Good! Last time I had access to the UE code DX9 was supported. It was deprecated in the latest versions in favor of DX11?

wckdspn

26 Mar 2014, 01:46

Yeah, UE4 has some major rewrites. They've made a spirited effort to drop as much cruft as possible.

Erio
Topic Author

27 Mar 2014, 22:55

Thanks DigitalKarnage :)

I think exactly the same. Plus i want to use a totally 3D UI. So i really need it. :p

jsantos

Well. I will try when i get a few pixels of time. Probably next week !

I hope that you'll do it Officially.

UE4 is very new. And i think it might be a very good opportunity to strike for NoesisGUI :)

DigitalKarnage

08 May 2014, 19:49

Sorry for the delay in updates with the Integration progress, was having some some personal issues getting in the way of hobbies. Will start working on it this week.

As you know, Noesis has made incredible strides in bringing xaml based ui's to games, which i'm am highly grateful for. Thanks Guys, but it's time we start working on how to bring Noesis, to the masses. I think with a single / simple plugin for unreal, we could really put Noesis on the map, far above ... well that other Webbased UI toolkit. If i were designing a web based game, still wouldn't pay that absorbent asking price to use it.

If your still interested in the project or wanna help, pm me.

jsantos
Site Admin

08 May 2014, 22:11

Sure, we are interested in this collaboration!

But I think that we need to have the DX11 port ready before that, don't we?

Thanks for your positive attitude.