brianbraatz
Topic Author

Re: Control Gallery not running on Android

10 Jul 2014, 17:42

sucessfully have account in mantis bug tracker now- I dont see any issues\bugs in my account yet.
Will check later- just wanted you to know I got in successfully

sfernandez
Site Admin

10 Jul 2014, 17:46

sucessfully have account in mantis bug tracker now- I dont see any issues\bugs in my account yet.
Will check later- just wanted you to know I got in successfully
In case you missed this message:
Just a quick test before looking deeper.

Open ControlGallery scene in Unity Editor. Go to the NoesisGUIPanel inspector and modify the Offscreen Width property to 1 (instead of 2). Build And Run the app with this modification. Let's see if at least the demo starts.

I guess it is a problem with the texture size we are using for offscreen opacity groups.

brianbraatz
Topic Author

10 Jul 2014, 18:31

"
Open ControlGallery scene in Unity Editor. Go to the NoesisGUIPanel inspector and modify the Offscreen Width property to 1 (instead of 2). Build And Run the app with this modification. Let's see if at least the demo starts.

I guess it is a problem with the texture size we are using for offscreen opacity groups."

AHA!

Ok that worked

and funny - that setting is 1 on all the other scenes that DO work

so the scene does work- except the menus on the side are VERY small (see attached pic)

BUT- if I click on the top two buttons in that button demo scene- it crashes..

but it does seem to switch between the examples just fine- its just really tricky to click on them - since the menus are so small..

if you want me to help debug further or would like me to help with any future testing on galaxy 8.4" let me know, would be happy to help :)

--------------

SIDE QUESTION - what is your recommended approach for dealing with different screensizes? I noticed you used a viewbox in the controlgallery sample- that seems to work well- but for things like the menu on the left in your controlgallery- which technique would you suggest there? Maybe a xaml grid and use a percentage for each col?

brianbraatz
Topic Author

10 Jul 2014, 18:38

pic didnt seem to attach- too big

here is a link to the image of the controlgallery running on samsung 8.4" tablet

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/465 ... amsung.png

sfernandez
Site Admin

10 Jul 2014, 19:03

AHA!
Ok that worked
and funny - that setting is 1 on all the other scenes that DO work
so the scene does work- except the menus on the side are VERY small (see attached pic)
Great to hear. The problem is then localized: we were creating a texture too big (>4096 width) for your tablet.
BUT- if I click on the top two buttons in that button demo scene- it crashes..
The offscreen texture used for opacity groups is one of the things we want to improve for 1.2.x version.
but it does seem to switch between the examples just fine- its just really tricky to click on them - since the menus are so small..
This demo is not designed for high-res devices, it was initially done when we only have support for Windows. We also want to re-design this demo as well as the NoesisStyle so it is more touch-friendly and uses less opacity groups (that could be a bottleneck on old mobile devices).
if you want me to help debug further or would like me to help with any future testing on galaxy 8.4" let me know, would be happy to help :)
Thank you for your feedback, it makes us improve our product ;)
SIDE QUESTION - what is your recommended approach for dealing with different screensizes? I noticed you used a viewbox in the controlgallery sample- that seems to work well- but for things like the menu on the left in your controlgallery- which technique would you suggest there? Maybe a xaml grid and use a percentage for each col?
That's right, I think the best solution to deal with different screen sizes is to design things with relative sizes, thus, using Grid star (*) col/rows and wrap groups with Viewboxes.

P.S. I saw in your screenshot that you are not using a Trial. Did you buy NoesisGUI package from the Asset Store? Then you can send us privately your order number so we can give you access to our download section, we normally release updates earlier in our web.

Regards,
- Sergio

jsantos
Site Admin

11 Jul 2014, 01:07

That's right, I think the best solution to deal with different screen sizes is to design things with relative sizes, thus, using Grid star (*) col/rows and wrap groups with Viewboxes.
That approach is explained in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=115&p=642&hilit=Viewbox#p644

By the way, there are two things that are being worked on in noesisGUI v1.2 that are related to this thread:
  • Excessive abuse of opacities in our demos. Specially important on mobiles.
  • Browser demo was not designed for mobiles. In fact that demo was done when noesisGUI was only available for desktop platforms.

timashev

09 Sep 2014, 02:18

Hi,

I'm having the same problem with my own app on Galaxy Tab 10.1 (GT-P7500). Offscreen Height=2 with Offscreen Width=1.1 (instead of 2) worked for me (but not, e.g. Offscreen Width=1.25 -- it crashed just like with Offscreen Width=2).

It's strange because Galaxy Tab 10.1 display resolution is 1280x800 only, so NoesisGUI should NOT create >4096 width texture as it was mentioned here...

Now I'm afraid that my app may crash on any other Android tablet with higher resolution... It works fine on iPad 2 and iPad Air (with Offscreen Height=2 and Offscreen Width=2 too!), but on Android tablets... It seems that Android implementation of NoesisGUI (v1.1.11) is affected by some bug.

What you suggest? When we may expect v1.2 with optimized offscreen rendering and Windows Phone 8 compatibility available for Unity (beta version at least)?

jsantos
Site Admin

09 Sep 2014, 15:31

Hi!

It crashes with (2,1.1) and not with (2,2) ? It is strange although it could happen that the texture space memory is fragmented differently.

What style are you using?

In NoesisGUI v1.2.0 we have optimized the Noesis style to avoid abusing offscreen space. Also, they way offscreen surfaces are created will change to avoid these errors (in 1.2.X). The Windows Phone runtime is already finished but the integration with unity is yet not finished, I cannot guarantee it will be in 1.2.0.