horeaper
Topic Author

Need help on some detail info about NoesisGUI

22 Sep 2014, 13:25

I'm thinking using NoesisGUI as the GUI component of our company's next cross-platform game. There're a few more information required to final this decision, but I can't find them anywhere in the docs. So I'm hoping to get some help from the forum, here are my questions:

0. We don't use Unity

1. What's the process of building/debugging for Android, iOS and WinRT/WP8?
We need to test our game a lot on the real device, since it requires multi-touch and the Accelerometer. The process of building and debugging with NoesisGUI on the real device must be as simple as possible.

2. What's the minimal size of building for Android, iOS and WP8?
Basically means: What's the library size of NoesisGUI? If it's too big, it may affect our decision.

3. How much memory does NoesisGUI requires to "start up"?
If it uses too much memory, it will affect our decision.

Thanks in advance!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Need help on some detail info about NoesisGUI

23 Sep 2014, 03:37

0. We don't use Unity
Perfect. You need the native SDK then.
1. What's the process of building/debugging for Android, iOS and WinRT/WP8?
We need to test our game a lot on the real device, since it requires multi-touch and the Accelerometer. The process of building and debugging with NoesisGUI on the real device must be as simple as possible.
This process is straightforward. It is almost the same as if you were not using NoesisGUI. The only change is that each time you modify a XAML you need to invoke the builder tool. You can do this automatically using a pre-build step.
2. What's the minimal size of building for Android, iOS and WP8?
Basically means: What's the library size of NoesisGUI? If it's too big, it may affect our decision.
In iOS, the static library increases your executable size by 4MB approximately. In Android, we provide a dynamic library, whose size is 6MB in 1.1 and probably smaller in 1.2 (internal beta yet). Similar numbers for Windows Phone/Store.

Depending of the license you are interested, you could have access to the source code and compile all platforms using static libraries. We have several clients doing that. We also have plans to improve stripping code when using a static library, for example, if you don't need buttons you should be able to strip all the code for that class that now is automatically included.
3. How much memory does NoesisGUI requires to "start up"?
If it uses too much memory, it will affect our decision.
Right now, it is around 3.5Mb of system memory (we expect this number to be lower because we have simplified the default internal styles), and 640kb of GPU for internal buffers. You have to add later the consumption for textures (a texture for color ramps and another one of glyphs), offscreen render targets and images used by your application.

If you need a trial, please contact us in private.

Thanks!