jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Effects

15 Mar 2017, 01:23

Support for default states like DropShadowEffect is in the roadmap. We also plan to implement support to extend noesis with new Effects. Not exactly in the WPF way though. We will provide more information about it as soon as we have it.

Thanks!

kemarofangs

01 Apr 2017, 05:18

How far into the future will the implementation of the effects be? Will HLSL pixel shader version 3 (PS_3) be used? I ask because I need to know if it's worth waiting or I should just stick to WPF until it is implemented. Thanks

jsantos
Site Admin

05 Apr 2017, 22:32

Effects for C++ custom renderers are expected to incorporate soon. As each renderer must implement their own shaders natively, you can use whatever language you need for that purpose. For now we don't plan a generic solution that takes HLSL from the XAML and convert it dinamically to the active platform (glsl, metal, etc).

andekande

24 Jul 2017, 21:37

MS has put some love into GPU accelerated Effects in UWP recently. They extended Windows.UI.Composition for that and basically use an effect enriched brush to overlay any UI element.
This not only is kinda looking cool, but is the foundation of their design language. So I wonder if that would be recreateable with the Effects extensibility, you are implementing? Not necesarily through the same XamlLight and CopositionBrush API, but maybe a Shader based workaround (though having predefined Shaders for light and blur would be more approachable).

related Blog:
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... -part-one/
https://blogs.windows.com/buildingapps/ ... -part-two/

API Docu:
https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/window ... -with-xaml

jsantos
Site Admin

25 Jul 2017, 13:14

Thanks for this information! Yes, we are totally aware of this new architecture added in the Windows 10 Creators Update. We are following a different approach here because our clients are in charge of the renderer implementation (including shaders) but we will try to offer the same functionality or even more. : )

SannanKhan

26 Apr 2018, 10:41

Hi, any updates on the drop shadow effect? I'm using v2.1.0 and using it gives me
NoesisException: MainWindow.xaml(14): Unknown type 'DropShadowEffect'.

jsantos
Site Admin

27 Apr 2018, 11:14

Effects are not yet implemented but we are actively working on them these days. We will keep you posted. Thanks!

mingingmingler

04 May 2018, 17:53

Just dropping in to say that I'm pumped to be able to eventually use custom effects in Noesis. Things like frosted glass, and the ability to have scene lighting affect my UI will be killer, especially since one of my projects is unconventionally rendering the entire 2d world using Noesis for those sweet vector graphics. Looking forward to seeing what you guys cook up :)

jsantos
Site Admin

09 May 2018, 17:17

We are also really excited about this feature and the door it is going to open for our users : )
... especially since one of my projects is unconventionally rendering the entire 2d world using Noesis for those sweet vector graphics. Looking forward to seeing what you guys cook up :)
Remember that you can use the Gallery section to showcase your game, even if it is in alpha stage.

goldsaucer

13 Dec 2018, 16:31

Can't wait to see the drop shadow effect implemented either! Using a nasty work around right now in our game. Hopefully we can avoid that in the future.