DevBoyLars
Topic Author

XAML WYSIWYG Editor for Mac!?

29 Jan 2015, 23:40

Hi there,
is there no WYSIWYG XAML editor/way if I'm developing on a Mac!?

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: XAML WYSIWYG Editor for Mac!?

30 Jan 2015, 02:47

Unfortunately not. Right now the best option for OSX is using a Virtual Machine with Blend inside.

DevBoyLars
Topic Author

30 Jan 2015, 09:29

This would mean much more additional expenses (good VM-Software, Windows license + Blend) just to work with Noesis. But more critical is how much resources and time it needs to work with a VM just to use a XAML-Editor..

How bad is that?!

Are there any plans to resolve this issue soon for all the iOS developers out there or does we have to use another solution/GUI-System!?

Scherub

30 Jan 2015, 14:18

I develop for iOS, too and unfortunately Apple is forcing me to use MacOS for that...

I think I've seen other people around here that are developing for various mobiles including iOS and apparently we all found a way (a simple Windows machine for instance) to work with Noesis.

Despite that I don't use the WYSIWYG part of Blend or Visual Studio. But there are other things like the nice text editor or the that you can have a designtime preview (including data) why it's worth using these tools.

I can only speak for myself here but I prefer writing the XAML manually and would only need some syntax highlighting and checking and for that there are some editors for MacOS available. :)

jsantos
Site Admin

31 Jan 2015, 15:21

Indeed, we also work with raw XAML 95% of the times. Once you master it, I think it is most efficient.

In the long term, we have plans to solve this by creating our own Editor, using noesisGUI. But that is something for v2.x roadmap. Far away from now.

Regarding Blend, remember that Microsoft offers now free licenses for Visual Studio + Blend.

jsantos
Site Admin

31 Jan 2015, 15:24

I can only speak for myself here but I prefer writing the XAML manually and would only need some syntax highlighting and checking and for that there are some editors for MacOS available. :)
What editor are you using for this? I tried Sublime Text with a XAML plugin in the past although we should probably create our own plugin. Another alternative we investigated is creating a Unity plugin for writing XAML + autocomplete.

Scherub

03 Feb 2015, 14:03

What editor are you using for this? I tried Sublime Text with a XAML plugin in the past although we should probably create our own plugin. Another alternative we investigated is creating a Unity plugin for writing XAML + autocomplete.
I tried Sumlime Text too and I think I saw a plugin for Eclipse but I could be wrong here. But in general I prefer to develop under Windows. :)

Are you sure you want to go down that route developing your own plugin? If you have the resources go on but I think it would be very difficult to create a plugin that is somewhat comparable to existing (and free) tools.

jsantos
Site Admin

03 Feb 2015, 15:40

No no.. we have enough battles opened right now. Our idea was extending one of the existing Unity plugins (for example UnIDE). We started conversations with several developers. But I am not sure if this is the correct path. Probably maintaining a XAML plugin for Sublime Text is a better idea.

NickN

04 Feb 2015, 15:52

Couple of things...

If you need to run a virtual machine on a Mac, try Virtualbox (https://www.virtualbox.org/). It's free, and based on my recent experience, a lot less painful than Parallels used to be. I'm currently using it to run Ubuntu and CentOS from an external drive and it works like magic. I just purchased a basic Windows 8 license and plan on setting that up in the next couple of days. I'll report back here when/if it works. The Win 8 license was ~$100 and Virtualbox is free. There are probably ways (cough) to get Windows for less.

The second thing is that you can use Inkscape on the Mac (https://inkscape.org/en/). Also free. I am literally 24 hours in on using it, but so far so good. It seems to read plenty of useful formats and it outputs XAML files.

And that brings me to my question (sorry to hijack the thread)...

The developer in our team that is working on integrating NoesisGUI is telling me that the code samples all seem to use a ".xaml.nsb" file format. What's the difference between .xaml and .xaml.nsb? And how do I convert from .xaml to .xaml.nsb?

All pointers welcome!

Scherub

04 Feb 2015, 16:22

I guess .xaml.nsb is the binary (converted by Noesis) representation of a XAML. There are probably tools in the SDK to convert it. But I'm not sure why you would need this.