martinj
Topic Author

How to open examples in Expression Blend 4?

04 Apr 2013, 16:00

I'm trying to open the examples that are included in the unity package (Assets/NoesisGui/Gui/TicTacToe/Content/MainWindow.xaml) in expression blend 4. But Blend says that the Xaml is invalid and I get a lot of errors (for example: CompositeTransform is not supported in WPF project)

What do I need to do to open the included examples?

I managed to open the "subfiles" in the Samples project (for example button.xaml opened fine). But it would be nice to study the more advanced examples.

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: How to open examples in Expression Blend 4?

05 Apr 2013, 00:49

The TicTacToe example uses some Silverlight features like CompositeTransform and Projection, so you should create a Silverlight Application Project to be able to load it.

Anyway, you can find a valid Expression Blend 4 project inside NoesisGUI SDK for the TicTacToe example:

$(NoesisGUI_SDK)/Data/Packages/Gui/TicTacToe/Content/TicTacToe.csproj

martinj
Topic Author

05 Apr 2013, 16:10

Thanks!

I got that working. But...

When I compile TicTacToe for Android, it won't start on the device. The Unity logo shows and then it just exits.
And after I've done the compilation it for Android I can't even run it in the editor (play button), even though it was working fine before the compile.

When running in the editor I get the following error:
"Exception: SystemWindow implementation not found
.\Gui\SystemWindow\Src\SystemWindow.cpp (line 32)
Noesis.Kernel.RaiseError (System.String filename, Int32 line, System.String desc) (at Assets/Scripts/Noesis/NoesisKernel.cs:130)
(wrapper native-to-managed) Noesis.Kernel:RaiseError (intptr,int,intptr)
Noesis.Kernel.InitKernel (System.String dataPath) (at Assets/Scripts/Noesis/NoesisKernelImports.cs:53)"

and
"NullReferenceException: Object reference not set to an instance of an object
TicTacToe.Start () (at Assets/Scenes/TicTacToe/TicTacToe.cs:121)"

I'm using Windows 7 64bit as my development machine and a Nexus 10 tablet for testing on android.
I've tried to reference both the 32bit and 64bit versions of the android sdk when asked by unity (don't know which one to use).

The only way I could get anything related to noesis gui to work again is by re-installing Unity and deleting its registry keys.

Any suggestions?

BR,
Martin

sfernandez
Site Admin

05 Apr 2013, 16:48

What .xaml file are you using, because it seems like you are trying load a XAML with a Window root, and that scenario is not supported.

Or maybe you are trying to load the App.xaml (setting the Xaml property of the NoesisGUI script component).

martinj
Topic Author

06 Apr 2013, 13:41

I'm loading the TicTacToe scene that is included in the unity assets. It works fine when "playing" in the editor before compiling for Android. But as soon as I've made an Android build I get the errors described before. I actually didn't check if the XAML file changed in any way during the compile. But that seems strange...

If I uninstall unity, deleting is registry keys, and install it again the everything is back to where it was before the Android build. I've tried this three times, having to re-install unity every time to be able to see anything of the noesisGui again :/ Something definitely happens when I do the android build, but I cannot figure out what.

sfernandez
Site Admin

08 Apr 2013, 16:08

Thanks for the explanation.
We will try to reproduce it and solve it as soon as possible.

martinj
Topic Author

08 Apr 2013, 17:11

Ok, thanks!

Please tell me if there is anything I can do to help!

martinj
Topic Author

09 Apr 2013, 23:21

Can you repeat the problem? I'd really like to include noesis in a demo next tuesday, but time is running out :/

sfernandez
Site Admin

10 Apr 2013, 18:52

Hi martinj, we managed to reproduce your problem. Now working on it... ;)

sfernandez
Site Admin

11 Apr 2013, 04:33

We found the source of your problem.

When you build a standalone for Android platform, Unity Editor automatically changes its environment to Android Platform, therefore all scripts get compiled dependant on UNITY_ANDROID macro.

Because we make use of this and other macros to adapt scripts for each platform, you won't be able to play a scene with NoesisGUI until you change the Unity Editor environment platform back to "PC, Mac and Linux" (open File > Build Settings..., select PC platform and click the "Switch Button").

If after switching the platform you still get the error message "Exception: SystemWindow implementation not found", just re open Unity Editor so loaded dlls are freed and variables reset.

In a next release we would add some checks to detect this situation and warn users.