martinj
Topic Author

Re: How to open examples in Expression Blend 4?

12 Apr 2013, 07:53

Hi again!

You're right, the samples works again when switching back to the Windows platform. But only in the editor. I cannot build an apk that works on device. (I've tested on a Nexus 10 and an old Samsung Galaxy tablet). The Unity logo shows and then the application exits.

A link to last apk that I've built (mastermind example) is below. Perhaps I'm missing a simple setting somewhere, but I cannot figure out what. Other unity scenes (without NoeisisGUI) I've compiled works just fine...

Any idea what's wrong?

Apk link:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/244 ... ermind.apk

sfernandez
Site Admin

12 Apr 2013, 19:00

The .apk you attached is also failing in our phones.
We are investigating the possible cause of the error.
We will keep you informed of our progress.

sfernandez
Site Admin

16 Apr 2013, 13:10

We finally know where the problem is.
You can work around it by enabling the External (SDCard) Write Access option in the player settings.

Sorry for being so late :oops:

martinj
Topic Author

17 Apr 2013, 08:05

Thanks! It's working now...

...but the demos run extremely slow on device (perhaps 5 fps). Is there something additional that I've missed?

I see in the release notes for 0.9.8 that "Although this is still a preliminary work and many optimizations are pending, all the samples are working properly."

Still it would be interesting to know what kind of performance you are expecting for the 1.0 release.

BR,
Martin

jsantos
Site Admin

17 Apr 2013, 10:18

Hi martin,

The problem is under control. It is related to opacity groups. An opacity group is a set of paths that a rendered to an offscreen surface that is later blended again. Opacity groups can be recursive and they are implemented in NoesisGui using RenderTargets. They way we implemented it is fast on desktops but very very slow on mobile GPU that have a tiled architecture (all mobile GPUs we tested, ios, android, raspberry).

Next release, that will include iOS and OSX too, will solve this problem.

Thanks for you patience.

martinj
Topic Author

18 Apr 2013, 08:59

Sounds good that it will be resolved soon. Was a bit surprised, since it wasn't really clear in the release notes :o.

I'm really looking forward to evaluate noesisGUI more, but I'll wait until next release. Do you have any idea when it will be ready?

BR,
Martin

matt.rudder

24 May 2013, 20:38

I'm still seeing this issue in 0.9.9 with Android builds in editor. Was this supposed to be resolved, or is a fix still pending?

jsantos
Site Admin

24 May 2013, 20:51

which problem of the two mentioned in this post? low fps or External Write Access problem?

matt.rudder

24 May 2013, 21:07

Sorry, I should be more specific. :)

Initially I was getting the "Exception: SystemWindow implementation not found" error when trying to integrate Noesis into our project, but after switching to a PC build, and switching back (doing a full import in the process) the error has gone away.

sfernandez
Site Admin

27 May 2013, 14:04

This problem is not produced by Noesis plugin directly but the way Unity behaves when building projects.

When you build a project for any platform, Unity switches the active platform and compiles scripts using the appropriate define (UNITY_ANDROID, UNITY_IPHONE, UNITY_PS3...). When the build process finishes, clicking the play button in Unity editor neither changes back to Windows/Mac/Linux platform, nor compiles scripts with the UNITY_EDITOR define.

We can force switching back to UNITY_EDITOR state when the user clicks play, or notify the user this situation. We haven't decided yet.

What do you think would be better?