KeldorKatarn
Topic Author

Using Noesis to extend the Unity Editor. Possible?

04 Mar 2015, 19:57

Hello,

first of all great news that Noesis is now usable in the Unity5 Personal edition. Congrats on that breakthrough since I think it'll open you up for a lot bigger market share.

However I'm interested in yet another usecase. It it conceivable to use Noesis to create a XAML based extension to the Unity Editor itself? Can the GUI run at editor-time and be used to display custom editor windows? I know this is probably not supported out of the box but is there any way to hack/workaround this? maybe display the Noesis GUI panel inside a rendertexture and then somehow use that inside an editorwindow or something like that?
Having XAML available to write editors would certainly open up new possibilities to studios.

Thanks and again congrats and I'll definitely be a customer now. I'm still in the prototyping stage so getting Unity Pro just for a GUI was a bit too much, even though Noesis was on the mid-term plan always, but now we'll probably use it sooner rather than later if not right away once it fully works with Unity 5 :)

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Using Neosis to extend the Unity Editor. Possible?

05 Mar 2015, 06:58

Thanks for the nice comments!

Unfortunately, there is no way to render noesisGUI when you are not in "Play" mode. Unity is architected in a way that low-level callback are only invoked in that mode. I am sure there should be a way to hack this, but right now we do not have time to investigate it. I expect to do it soon or later because this is not the first time we are asked about this subject.

Regards,

KeldorKatarn
Topic Author

Re: Using Neosis to extend the Unity Editor. Possible?

05 Mar 2015, 18:17

Can IO ask which low-level callbacks it needs? Is this on the C++ level or on GameComponent level?

KeldorKatarn
Topic Author

Re: Using Noesis to extend the Unity Editor. Possible?

30 Apr 2021, 21:59

I know this is very old, but was there ever any progress on this?

(honestly Unity should have gone for a full XAML solution for their UI in general. Their UI Elements is just a giant mess also and way more cumbersome and not even remotely as feature complete as the XAML space out there. Sigh. Had big hopes for UIElements but I'm so far not very impressed. EVent the simplest things are still way too awkward.)

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Using Noesis to extend the Unity Editor. Possible?

03 May 2021, 16:42

Theoretically it is doable, if you see our XAML preview window, it is creating a view and rendering with Noesis *without* playmode.

So, that could be a good starting point.