Scherub
Topic Author

Not so nice looking circular UI elements

19 Nov 2015, 17:04

Hi,

I have several circular UI elements in my project which are drawn using ellipses. Now the problem is that the 'geometry resolution' is not high enough so it looks pretty ugly. I can improve it by setting AA to "PPAA" which increases the geometry complexity afaik, but I don't know whether this is a good idea in general.

Is there anything else I can do to make it better looking? :)

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Not so nice looking circular UI elements

19 Nov 2015, 17:23

Are you using Medium or High tessellation quality? I have an internal task here to revise that, because in Medium quality the result is not good enough. But in High quality you should get a nice result.

Scherub
Topic Author

19 Nov 2015, 19:11

If you mean the quality setting in the NoesisGuiPanel then this is set to high. And it looks already better than medium but still pretty jaggie compared to PPAA. I've attached a comparison image.
Circular Shapes - MSAA vs PPSA.png
Circular Shapes - MSAA vs PPSA.png (33.86 KiB) Viewed 2715 times

jsantos
Site Admin

19 Nov 2015, 21:03

Yes, it is aliasing. You have the following options:
  • Enable MSAA in your game.
  • If the performance with MSAA is not good we provide a cheap solution, PPAA that slightly alters the geometry but it is very fast giving a quality similar to MSAA in many scenarios.
  • In high DPI devices you can probably go without MSAA nor PPAA.
I recommend you choosing based on the performance and DPI of the device. Or even better, you could give the option to select the quality in your game.

Scherub
Topic Author

23 Nov 2015, 13:33

I think I'll just offer an option for that. I already offer more options than probably most mobile games anyway so it shouldn't make much of a difference anymore. :)

And selecting it based on the device performance (and DPI) is something for after v1.0 is out. I really have to come to an end of the first version now.

Thank you for your suggestions. :)