maherne
Site Admin
Topic Author

Visual Studio Code Extension

03 Oct 2022, 19:11

NoesisGUI XAML Tools for Visual Studio Code

This extension provides a rich editing experience for NoesisGUI and the XAML markup language, using the NoesisGUI language server. The latest release of NoesisGUI XAML Tools can be installed from the Visual Studio Code Marketplace.

XAML Features

Completion support for nodes and properties
Start typing a XAML tag or attribute and NoesisGUI XAML Tools will show you a list of available symbols (controls, properties, etc.) at that location.

Syntax and semantic error reporting
NoesisGUI XAML Tools shows you syntax and semantic errors as you type.

Live previews
Open the XAML Preview panel and see a rendered preview of the active XAML document. This render is generated by NoesisGUI each time you make a change to the active document.

Color decorators and pickers
Color decorators allow you to see the current color of all Brush attribute properties in your document. Clicking a decorator will allow you to select a new value using the color picker.

Language Server
XAML Tools connects to a NoesisGUI language server, which is built on the NoesisGUI library, to provide language capabilities for XAML. The language server also provides information on supported types, which includes controls, extensions, converters, and view models.

Our Unreal and Unity plugins contain language servers, which are active while the Unreal/Unity editor is running. An editor language server will support all of the types available in the current Unreal/Unity project. XAML Tools will prioritise connecting to an editor language server, this process is automatic.

If no active language server is found, XAML Tools will connect to an embedded language server. This embedded language server is limited to native NoesisGUI types, custom classes are not supported.

You can verify which language server you are currently connected to by checking the status bar on the bottom right of the VSCode window.

System Requirements
  • VSCode 1.63.0
  • Windows or MacOS
Last edited by maherne on 13 Apr 2023, 17:19, edited 1 time in total.

samc

Re: Visual Studio Code Extension

12 Apr 2023, 21:02

This is super amazing! Been playing with it -- I love vscode and the editor is already super helpful.

One thing we were' doing inside blend is that we'd link our xaml to sample data, like this:
  d:DataContext="{d:DesignData /Blend/SampleData/HUD/HUDPaperDoll.xaml}"

Is there any support for anything like that in the plugin?

thanks,
sam

maherne
Site Admin
Topic Author

13 Apr 2023, 17:13

Thanks for your feedback, I'm delighted to hear that you have having a good experience with the extension.

We don't yet support completion of markup extensions in the LangServer, this is something which we are currently working on #2551. The first release with this feature will support completion of markup extension property names, and completion of ResourceDictionary key property values for the StaticResource and DynamicResource markup extensions. Support for completion of other markup property values, including Binding properties, will come after.

We plan to provide support for the DesignData markup in the future. We are developing Noesis Studio and the VSCode Extension in parallel as they are the core of our new development ecosystem. DesignData functionality will be available in both.

arkaen

26 May 2023, 05:34

NoesisVSCodeExtError.jpg
Happens every time I try to open Xaml preview
Why do I keep getting this "external language server" error here? It happens every time I try to open the preview and see the xaml control. I can see it in Blend and Unity, but it simply refuses to work in the VS Code Noesis extension. Is there some special way I have to set up VS Code and the extension or create/open the project? Any other dependencies or things I'm missing, other extensions, etc? The documentation on how to actually use it is quite sparse and I don't see any tutorials ... :-(
"Make it exist,"
-- Arkaen Solutions

jsantos
Site Admin

26 May 2023, 11:10

For now, preview is not implemented in Unity or Unreal. We are working on it.

arkaen

26 May 2023, 21:37

For now, preview is not implemented in Unity or Unreal. We are working on it.
I sorta figured it out, by launching it without Unity open. Then it used "Noesis [Embedded]" language server instead. For now, why can't ya just peg it out to always use embedded and ignore Unity until you finish implementing the real deal? I think it'd be better like that for now haha.

It is working but the integration is visibly new, but also quite powerful. I like it, and I'm reading the docs and trying to familiarize myself with things. I'm confused about what goes on with "Open Blend Project", which opens it in Visual Studio 2022 instead of blend. I can get it to open in blend, but it creates a default with a whacky name and I can't add an existing folder with xaml and xaml.cs files in the solution in Blend or Visual Studio 2022. Do I need to edit the .csproj file and do an include path and reload the project?
"Make it exist,"
-- Arkaen Solutions

jsantos
Site Admin

30 May 2023, 12:58

I sorta figured it out, by launching it without Unity open. Then it used "Noesis [Embedded]" language server instead. For now, why can't ya just peg it out to always use embedded and ignore Unity until you finish implementing the real deal? I think it'd be better like that for now haha.
When connected to the Unity instance (not embedded) , we provide syntax highlighting and auto completion for all your C# classes. For now, you can use Unity as the preview itself, but as said before we are working on previews for Unity and Unreal.

Please, for the other topic about Blend and Visual Studio 2022, open a new thread to avoid polluting this one.