stonstad
Topic Author

Noesis View Statistics

01 Jun 2023, 03:59

I couldn't find any documentation for these statistics.

Is frame time the same as Unity's overall frame time... and update time and render time is specific to this Noesis view?

What is the tesselations statistic? If it continues to climb when I collapse and show a screen, does this mean there is a resource leak?

What update time and render time is typical vs abnormal?

What are opacity groups? What is typical vs abnormal?

What are RT switches? What is typical vs abnormal?

Thank you!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Noesis View Statistics

02 Jun 2023, 12:47

You are right, these counters need better documentation. They are only briefly described in the Inspector tutorial. Could you please open a ticket linking to this thread?
Is frame time the same as Unity's overall frame time... and update time and render time is specific to this Noesis view?
Yes, the frame time is the time taken by Unity to "tick" us.
What is the tesselations statistic? If it continues to climb when I collapse and show a screen, does this mean there is a resource leak?
It is a global counter (it never decreases), it is the number of times the tessellation helper (used for rendering curves) was invoked. You want this counter to barely move per frame. Better if it doesn't move.
What update time and render time is typical vs abnormal?
Depends on the content, but in general, you want to keep this under one or two milliseconds.
What are opacity groups? What is typical vs abnormal?
What are RT switches? What is typical vs abnormal?
Both counters are related to using the Opacity property or applying effects like Blur. "RT switches" is the number of intermediate render target being used for this. You want to keep this number low or close to zero. Note that when using effects (not opacity) this counter increases by the number of mipmaps needed for each render target (something like 10 or so).

nadjibus

02 Jun 2023, 17:16

So update and render time are specific to Noesis?

2023-06-02 (1).png

And this is from a PC with a 7 years old CPU and 6 years old GPU!

I'd say I'm very impressed by Noesis, you guys just rebuilt from scratch a super performant WPF version! something a huge company like Unity couldn't do. Their new UI Toolkit is somewhat closer to WPF than their old UI system, but still very lacking, and will probably take them years to reach parity with Noesis... without any of the performance benefit.

Bravo guys and thank you!

stonstad
Topic Author

06 Jun 2023, 03:05

Thank you jsantos!

If there is one thing I could communicate about Noesis is how performant it is. The "new" UI system from Unity doesn't compare on features or performance.

jsantos
Site Admin

07 Jun 2023, 00:04

Thanks for the kind words. We have been laser-focused on performance for the last 7 years and iterating the same architecture. I don't know how many UI architectures Unity killed and started from scratch during that same time. Soon or later our vision pays off. :)