chrisk
Topic Author

Runtime Update

22 Dec 2017, 19:12

Hi, I'm new to Noesis and I find it very interesting as a WPF developer.
I think it would be a perfect cross-platform solution for my need.
Currently, I'm checking out for Unity version and I have come across a quick question.
The reason I'm using Unity is the fast semi-runtime-hot-reloading works better than Unreal.
Fast development iteration is really important for me and I was wondering if Noesis can support runtime update while the game is running.
UI development by its nature, require frequent changes and I think runtime tunning is essential.
I read dynamic loading of xaml file in the forum, and I thought it would be possible to detect the changes in the file and just reload them.

My second question is if we can preview xaml in the Unity Editor without play button pressed.
Yes, we can preview in Blender but this might be useful if you have several xaml files in a scene and want to see what they look like in the game.

Thanks and I really appreciate making the wonderful product. I'm looking forward to becoming a dedicated user.

Cheers!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Runtime Update

22 Dec 2017, 19:20

Hi Chrisk,

Welcome to this community! Although a few users did already implement hot-reloading and we also provide something similar in our XamlPlayer, this feature is not yet implemented in Core. The idea is providing a delegate for each resource provider, that way client code can notify Noesis about file changes. This way Noesis can internally hot-reload the resource transparently for the user. This is something we have planned for v2.1 but unfortunately we needed to drop it. But it is in the list of high priority things to solve.

chrisk
Topic Author

23 Dec 2017, 00:55

Hi, JSantos,

That sounds good!
Runtime update is really important for developing Game UI because it's too painful to debug a menu that is deeply buried without in-place editing.
I can assume that it will be supported in the near future and I won't worry about it for now.

WPF is my favorite UI framework and I already like Neosis. ^^

Cheers!

sfernandez
Site Admin

23 Dec 2017, 03:30

Just want to add here that we are already regenerating xaml assets while Unity is playing, so if your application is able to navigate back and forth between different panels, then you will see the changes made to the xaml when it is loaded again.

We know about other clients using this trick to tweak UI faster.

jsantos
Site Admin

23 Dec 2017, 04:49

My second question is if we can preview xaml in the Unity Editor without play button pressed.
Yes, we can preview in Blender but this might be useful if you have several xaml files in a scene and want to see what they look like in the game.
You can preview XAMLs in Unity in the preview editor. But sometimes this is not enough, we experimented with having NoesisGUI displaying UI also in editor mode (using the attribute [ExecuteInEditMode] that for now is commented in NoesisView.cs) and I think that's something we can robustly implement in the future, for example by exposing a new property in each view.