horeaper
Topic Author

Is it possible to use noesis for Unity editor UI?

26 Sep 2019, 20:24

I don't know how they did that, but apparently UIWidgets can be used both for in-game UI, and editor UI.

If noesis can pull off something like that, we can all say goodbye to that UIElement abomination 😉

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Is it possible to use noesis for Unity editor UI?

26 Sep 2019, 21:39

Well, I am sure it is not impossible but nobody tried it before and we don't have the resources for that right now. But we are open to help if somebody is brave enough. 😀

atcarter714

Re: Is it possible to use noesis for Unity editor UI?

11 Nov 2022, 01:38

I found this because I had precisely that same question ... imagine how this could radically transform Unity tools/editor development and what you could do with it ... I'm getting goosebumps just dreaming about the rich AI Behavior Tree and FSM editors, advanced RPG game content editors, stupidly-beautiful editor windows for creating/configuring ScriptableObject assets and other things, the list goes on and on ... it would be Unity editor on steroids made out of solid gold, lol.

A bit disappointing that it's not already supported or on the roadmap, but I am quite certain it's possible somehow ... we just have to have a way to render it, inside a window or the surface of a panel in the editor, listen to events from the engine (i.e., resizing, docking/undocking, etc), capture input (mouse, keyboard, etc) and execute callbacks/events and run custom logic when things happen. It may not be as hard as one might imagine, then again, it could be super difficult because Unity has some very odd/quirky architecture and behavior lol. When I have time, I will try to investigate the idea and see if there's any kind of "hack" way to splice Noesis into a custom editor surface or if it's going to take some reverse-engineering and considerable effort to accomplish ... the Unity C# runtime is all open source, so looking at how they rigged up their ImGui system and the new UI stuff would probably give us a lot of clues, and there's always dotPeek if you have to go deeper down the rabbit hole, lol.

Probably won't be all that soon, but I vow that eventually I will study the problem and experiment with it, and if I find out anything interesting I'll make a report on it and share ... but I, too, really want and need something like Noesis to replace the crap provided by Unity by default. And I'm honestly shocked they haven't offered to buy this for a ton of money, lol, they're trippin indeed, homie ... the cost of all those engineer salaries pouring into developing the new and only slightly better Unity UI system probably outweighs the cost of buying or paying for usage rights to this system ...

Regards,

Aaron

P.S. --
If there's any news or updates about this topic since this post was made, I'd love to hear about it ...
"Ideas are very easy, cheap and abundant. Implementations are very hard ... and extremely expensive."
A ^= B ^= A ^= B;
ImageImage