TomSmith

Re: NoesisGUI + Unreal Engine (4) ?

28 Sep 2014, 04:41

Hi,

I too would like to see noesis in UE4. Has anyone started work on a plugin?

Erio
Topic Author

Re: NoesisGUI + Unreal Engine (4) ?

28 Sep 2014, 21:40

Hey TomSmith,

As I said in the previous message, I am currently working on it. :)

It's been in pause in the last months for some reasons, but I am back on it and will probably spend a part of my night reading documentation from Noesis and UE4 to design a correct architecture to work in UE4.

At the moment, my plans are to allow the plugin to draw 2D interfaces on the viewport and to be able to place in the world some actors that will be spawnable and be a 3D plane with alteration (possible since 4.x I don't remember the version. xD I think 4.4) to bend it etc. Should be interesting ;D

As I am back to work on this from today. I will post updates about it. :)

Erio
Topic Author

Re: NoesisGUI Unreal Engine 4 Plugin

29 Sep 2014, 06:07

Note: I will maintain the current state of the progress through the first post of this thread. :)

It will be more clean. See ya there to know the current state ! ;D

jsantos
Site Admin

29 Sep 2014, 16:12

Remember to download the latest v1.2 Beta because several bugs have been fixed in the DirectX11 renderer.

jsantos
Site Admin

29 Sep 2014, 16:15

By the way, if you want to help with this integration just contact Erio for information. For now, our official energy is dedicated to v1.2 although we can help here with the organization, giving support and fixing bugs.

Erio
Topic Author

05 Oct 2014, 15:58

Hi all. A small update to keep you informed of the work undergoing.

I finally found out how to set up the UE4 log system as ErrorHandler for NoesisGUI. It will probably be practical in case of somedays ;)

I also fixed a link error that was preventing me from compiling the plugin. (seems like I was doing things wrong there. :P)

I also prepared partially the createUIRenderer function to be functionnal. It should be by now.

now let's talk about what's not done yet here:

At the moment, my createUIRenderer function is being called before the module finished to load. I have to find out why. It will not be a big deal I guess. :)

Also. I am still researching how to get the texture from Noesis. But I think that I will know soon. :)

To conclude:

It's going a good way getting closer to what I expect it to be. :3

I will continue my work and research on it.

Erio

EDIT: I did updated the project to the latest versions as soon as I've been back working on it. It's an old habit as I tend to often go with the beta/dev versions of the library I use :lol:

Erio
Topic Author

08 Oct 2014, 01:02

Hello everybody.
Work is still ongoing for the plugin.

I am currently working on the render itself and it's translation to textures. I think that I will also include soon the support to have "paint on screen" UI as well as 3D embedded ones.

It seems that the current 1.2 version changes quite a few things in the render process. At least, I have Visual Assist being unable to find the functions I am seeking while looking at the doc. So it might take me a little bit more time to figure out how it is working. :)

but else it's going well. I keep trying to figure the best way to make it working. It makes some heavy changes all the times and as long as I don't get to have the textures to render I will not provide the plugin (It's not useful if it's not working yet).

I hope to get a lot of feedbacks once I get it to work! :D
(which should be pretty much soon. I hope.)

Erio
Topic Author

11 Oct 2014, 08:22

Hello again !

Progress continues ! :D

And today.. A screenshot from the logs of UE4 you might enjoy.

Can you see how it's getting closer and closer to work ? ;)

My work today has been to overcome the main problem I had:
Trying to create the UI before the module gets loaded.

I achieved this by overriding the OnRegister function of the component, which is called when the component is spawned. Meaning that at the moment, the XAMLs you'll load there will really be created at runtime !

I also succeeded in creating the ResourceSystem and resource provider that the component will use to feed itself with XAMLs ! :D

Some ideas emerged about material use for XAMLs. To allow some really cool effects on it. :D

There is still a way to go before I can finally say that it works. But... Now the base structure is really built and I am able to go on some tasks that are more about getting UI to be created and co than trying to figure how I could make everything to be called at the right time ! :)

I am really enthusiastic about the possibilities that the results might offer and that motivates me even more to work on this ! :D

This is a messy report.. But well. I can't tell you yet what I want to include. :3

But be reassured. I plan on doing an extensive support and to make it at the same time as configurable and customisable and easy to use ! :)

It will be an ActorComponent that you can add to any actor within the editor. And.. That's as simple as it is. ;)

(I will take a look later to create a type of assets for UE4 that would allow to have the possibility to display the xamls in a selector rather than a text box. :) )

jsantos
Site Admin

12 Oct 2014, 19:27

Very good news Erio!

As soon as you have the XAML loaded, rendering it with DX11 should be quite straightforward.

Please, continue telling us about your work.

Erio
Topic Author

12 Oct 2014, 19:59

:D !

It should be quite straightforward yes, I already took a look a little bit about a way to do the link. I can use the TickComponent event from the UActorComponent class which I derive from to get udpate every second. :)

I will keep you updated.

As you know. At the moment I have a clear problem with loading the XAML. It 's pretty surprising. I will continue to investigate with the further informations you provided me with. :)