nizesh
Topic Author

The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.

07 Aug 2019, 18:03

I'm trying to render a CustomCanvas view programmatically
 public class GraphCanvas : Canvas {
 	public void renderGraph()
        {
            Rectangle rect = new Rectangle();
            rect.Width = 200;
            rect.Height = 100;
            rect.Fill = Brushes.Blue;
            this.Children.Add(rect);
          }
 }
I'm calling this method
renderGraph();
from another class but it's giving me this error
The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.
What's the fix for this?

Tags:

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.

08 Aug 2019, 12:30

Are you invoking that function from a different thread than the one used to create the object?

nizesh
Topic Author

Re: The calling thread cannot access this object because a different thread owns it.

08 Aug 2019, 16:47

Yeah. The place from where I'm calling that function is the place where I receive my data. The logic I'm trying to implement is whenever the data gets updated, the UI needs to be invalidated as well. I think that error message is showing up because I'm trying to access the UI thread from the main thread but I don't know how to get over it. Apparantly, the
Dispatcher.Invoke
method didn't seem to work. What ways can we invalidate the UI through a thread outside the UI thread?

jsantos
Site Admin

08 Aug 2019, 17:14

Noesis objects created in one thread cannot be accessed from a different thread. We don't provide a mechanism to solve that, you need to do it yourself, depending on the platform you are using.

If Dispatcher is not available in Unity, what the recommended mechanism then?