BillHogan
Topic Author

Any insights?

30 Jan 2024, 07:06

I've been a WPF developer for over a decade, and my primary goal is XAML editing with Intellisense in Visual Studio. I don't require Blend or the Designer. While Noesis works well, my challenge is that every Unity action recreates csproj files, excluding XAML files. Manually including them is a temporary fix, as they are excluded again after changes. Is there a way for Unity to consistently include XAML files in csproj? Additionally, is there a method to enable Intellisense in XAML? I've heard about a custom AssetPostprocessor, but Noesis already has one. Any insights on why it doesn't include XAML by default? Thanks.

nadjibus

Re: Any insights?

30 Jan 2024, 21:31

I'm using the Blend project not the Unity one. It's a little bit of a pain to have to manually add each new XAML file in the Blend project since it's a .NET 4 csproj (maybe converting it to .NET 5+/the new csproj format which include all files by default may fix this issue). I also find myself having to sometimes mock/#ifdefs some Unity/Gameplay classes to make the Blend project compile...

I do hope that Noesis can find a way to keep XAML files referenced in Unity csproj without interfering with Unity build pipeline.

jsantos
Site Admin

31 Jan 2024, 12:36

Our Unity plugin adds a menu entry (Assets=>Open Blend project) that creates a Blend project with all the XAMLs included in the project. This is an experimental thing we added a few versions ago and we are not sure about how useful it is. It could be extended to automatically add new files to the project.

We are moving away from Blend though, providing a XAML extension for VSCode and working on our own editor, Noesis Studio, that will be fully integrated inside Unity and Unreal.

nadjibus

31 Jan 2024, 19:06

Noesis Studio looks awesome, any ETA for a preview/beta?

saji8k

01 Feb 2024, 17:01

Noesis Studio, that will be fully integrated inside Unity and Unreal.
Integration inside Unreal will be great, but I hope that a macOS standalone version is a higher priority.
Noesis Studio looks awesome, any ETA for a preview/beta?
"Although we already have a version working on macOS, the beta version we plan for GDC will be only Windows" - viewtopic.php?p=16534#p16540

So they are targeting end of March for a (Windows) beta.