StrayThought
Topic Author

VSCode <-> Unity error

04 Feb 2024, 13:44

Hi,
Just setup Noesis in Unity and working through tutorial content. Encountered an error (log message below).
1. Installed the Hello World sample
2. Selected the "MainWindow" file in Unity, live preview plays fine
3. Switched to VSCode, edited "World" to be "There", switched back to Unity and it played the preview with "Hello There" as expected
4. Switched back to VSCode, cursor at end of "There", press "!" and got a bunch of errors in the Unity console in the background.
5. Tried several ways, and backspacing and deleting works fine, but pressing any new character causes errors in the Unity console.
Cheers,
Brett

ArgumentException: name
Parameter name: Name cannot be empty
System.Reflection.Emit.AssemblyBuilder.GetType (System.String name, System.Boolean throwOnError, System.Boolean ignoreCase) (at <dcf6bec1c5764d29a37432d4b047f650>:0)
System.Reflection.Assembly.GetType (System.String name) (at <dcf6bec1c5764d29a37432d4b047f650>:0)
Noesis.Extend.FindType (System.String name) (at /Users/brett/Downloads/NoesisGUI-Unity-3.2.2-Indie/Runtime/API/Core/Extend.cs:2025)
Noesis.Extend.RegisterType (System.String typeName) (at /Users/brett/Downloads/NoesisGUI-Unity-3.2.2-Indie/Runtime/API/Core/Extend.cs:1990)
UnityEngine.Debug:LogException(Exception)
NoesisUnity:OnUnhandledException(Exception) (at /Users/brett/Downloads/NoesisGUI-Unity-3.2.2-Indie/Runtime/NoesisUnity.cs:380)
Noesis.Error:UnhandledException(Exception) (at /Users/brett/Downloads/NoesisGUI-Unity-3.2.2-Indie/Runtime/API/Core/Error.cs:18)
Noesis.Extend:RegisterType(String) (at /Users/brett/Downloads/NoesisGUI-Unity-3.2.2-Indie/Runtime/API/Core/Extend.cs:1999)
NoesisLangServer:Noesis_UpdateLangServer()
<>c:<.cctor>b__0_0() (at /Users/brett/Downloads/NoesisGUI-Unity-3.2.2-Indie/Editor/NoesisLangServer.cs:40)
UnityEditor.EditorApplication:Internal_CallUpdateFunctions() (at /Users/bokken/build/output/unity/unity/Editor/Mono/EditorApplication.cs:362)

maherne
Site Admin

Re: VSCode <-> Unity error

05 Feb 2024, 14:37

Hi StrayThought,

Thank you for reporting this issue. It has been fixed in our next release, version 3.2.3.

StrayThought
Topic Author

19 Feb 2024, 10:25

I upgraded to latest 3.2.3 and when editing the XAML file in VSCode periodically the Unity editor crashes in the background. I can't seem to get it to reproduce with a set of exact steps, but it only takes a minute of editing to get it to crash. In my specific case, here is what I did:
1. In Unity, went to Tools->NoesisGUI->Create->XAML - Layout Grid to create a new file
2. Created a new Unity scene (built-in renderer), added NoesisView to camera, connected the xaml file to it
3. Open the xaml file, VSCode launches
4. Went down to the <Rectangle> element and typed over Rectangle with Grid and started editing it to be a Grid and Unity editor crashed.
5. Relaunched Unity, reopened the xaml and continued editing.
6. Switched back to Unity, press play, works
7. Back to VS Code, start changing another Rectangle into a Grid and crashed again.
8. Rinse and repeat, crashes consistently every minute or so but no specific thing seems to trigger. Maybe the language server polling/update?

maherne
Site Admin

19 Feb 2024, 12:17

Hi StrayThought,

I have been able to reproduce it the crash.

Could you report this issue on our bug tracker?

Thanks!