hcpizzi
Site Admin

Re: How to use transparent images In UE4

20 Mar 2018, 14:52

Hi,

That PNG doesn't have the color channels premultiplied by the alpha channel. The topmost, leftmost texel is RGBA (255, 221, 93, 0). If it had alpha premultiplied it should be (0, 0, 0, 0). What this setting does is it fixes a problem that comes from the way Unreal handles PNGs when they are imported, but it doesn't do the premultiplication. This forum post has a tool you can add to your pipeline to do the premultiplication:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1036&p=5842

Perhaps the meaning of the setting wasn't very clear.

I guess I could maybe add another option to do the premultiplication, if enough people find it useful.

ride_wind
Topic Author

21 Mar 2018, 03:56

Hi,

That PNG doesn't have the color channels premultiplied by the alpha channel. The topmost, leftmost texel is RGBA (255, 221, 93, 0). If it had alpha premultiplied it should be (0, 0, 0, 0). What this setting does is it fixes a problem that comes from the way Unreal handles PNGs when they are imported, but it doesn't do the premultiplication. This forum post has a tool you can add to your pipeline to do the premultiplication:

viewtopic.php?f=3&t=1036&p=5842

Perhaps the meaning of the setting wasn't very clear.

I guess I could maybe add another option to do the premultiplication, if enough people find it useful.
Oh, I see, It work good using permultiplied image. Thanks.
Looking forward your option about premultiplication.

mshvern23

12 Jul 2023, 04:42

You also have to set sRGB to False, the images will be reimported and the alpha will be premultiplied automatically only if both are true: the texture group is set to UI and the sRGB checkbox not ticked.

BTW thanks a lot for adding this, I'm glad I don't have to use a command-line tool for this and have a solution right in the engine.