mdsitton
Topic Author

Hybrid C++ C# implementation

15 Sep 2023, 18:22

I've been looking into potentially using Noesis for my project where i'm doing a hybrid C++ C# solution and after evaluating both the Managed SDK and the Native SDK neither seem to directly cover my usecase. Where i wanted to implement many platform implementation details directly in C++ but leave ui details such as the code behind to be implemented within a C# scripting runtime.

I see that the C# API layer basically is just a SWIG wrapper around the C++ api and i was wondering if there is an option to have the SWIG api layer distributed either as a separate shared library, or a combined library with both the C++ exports and the SWIG exports.

Best Regards,
Matthew

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Hybrid C++ C# implementation

15 Sep 2023, 20:07

The C++ SDK libraries are exposing a C++ API, while the Managed libraries are exposing a "C" API that is used by the C# proxies (effectively using SWIG but one day we will remove this dependency :) ). We could expose also the C++ API from the Managed libraries, but that would unnecessarily increase the size of the library.

Right now, without access to the source code is not easy to do what you want (mixing both worlds). Is this for a company?

mdsitton
Topic Author

15 Sep 2023, 20:16

Thanks for getting back to me, yes we are a very small indie company just getting started on our journey :)

mdsitton
Topic Author

15 Sep 2023, 22:36

I'd assume there is no other options for the moment then, I've been spending a bit of time with various tools trying to generate bindings to the Native C++ library myself with little luck and the scope is too large to just do it manually.

If you can consider exposing the C++ API from within the managed libraries that would be ideal for us as the size isn't a huge concern for us, but i understand if you guys don't want to.

jsantos
Site Admin

19 Sep 2023, 00:19

If you can consider exposing the C++ API from within the managed libraries that would be ideal for us as the size isn't a huge concern for us, but i understand if you guys don't want to.
This is something we could consider, could you please open a ticket about this?