Octo
Topic Author

Building the Native SDK on a Raspberry Pi 4 Fails

26 Dec 2023, 18:28

This is my first time working with Noesis GUI, and I am currently trying to build the native SDK on my Raspberry Pi 4. It is running Raspbian 64 bit and is a brand new install. I made sure to install the headers as per the 'Getting Started' guide, but the make command fails with the ShaderCompiler. I've already made sure it has permission to execute and run, but I believe that is not the issue. The latest post I have seen about Raspberry Pi support on this forum is from 2019, and it was stated then that there is official support for it, yet it doesn't appear to work on my end. Below is the error it gives me upon attempting to build the SDK from the arm64 linux makefile.
$> make -f NoesisGUI-linux-arm64.mk CONFIG=Release
==== [NoesisApp] Building Release configuration ====
[SHADER] [App/Shaders] Tint.noesiseffect
/bin/sh: 1: ../../../Tools/ShaderCompiler/Bin/Linux/ShaderCompiler: Exec format error
make[1]: *** [Makefile:236: build/Release/Tint.bin.h] Error 126
make: *** [NoesisGUI-linux-arm64.mk:69: NoesisApp] Error 2
$>
I would be more than happy to provide more details, should they be needed. This library seems fantastic and I'd ideally love to use it for a personal project of mine.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Building the Native SDK on a Raspberry Pi 4 Fails

26 Dec 2023, 19:35

Unfortunately, the shader compiler binary is only available for x86, we don't have an ARM version right now. So you have the following options:

1) Build from a host machine compatible with x86
2) Avoid custom shaders, they are only used in one example
3) Submit a ticket and wait for a solution on our side (this is going to be low priority right for now)

Octo
Topic Author

29 Dec 2023, 17:58

Thank you for your advice on this. As I can't set up a proper dual boot for Ubuntu 20.04 at the moment, I went with using the Windows Subsystem for Linux. I'm now encountering a new error, however, and after 3 days of effort I still haven't been able to resolve it. LD claimed this:
So I checked using LD's locator with -verbose, and it seems to find all of the libraries in question and all of their files within, but can't find an entry point.
ld: warning: cannot find entry symbol _start; not setting start address
I'm sure this is on my end, but I don't know what I'm missing. The WSL install of Ubuntu is barebones and as such I've had to manually install the libraries needed, so I'm sure some are the incorrect ones or I'm missing a few. It's been a while since my last adventure into Linux, so I'm a bit rusty. Is there a definitive list of the dependencies that Noesis relies on to build?

Octo
Topic Author

01 Jan 2024, 01:01

Since I am new to cross-compilation, this took an embarrassingly long time for me to figure out, but I have now realized that I lack these three libraries (EGL, X11, and GLES2) for *arm64*, not for my x86_64 Linux machine. I am currently attempting to build arm64 versions of these libraries from their source code so I can tell gcc where they are, but any tips on doing that would be very appreciated as this is my first time building a library for an architecture that is different from the machine it is being built on.

jsantos
Site Admin

02 Jan 2024, 14:26

The C++ Linux SDK comes with a makefile for building on ARM. I hope this can help.