jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

Updates to Our Licensing Terms

18 Mar 2024, 13:12

After years of feedback, especially from indie developers, we have decided to update our pricing and licensing terms as follows:
  • We have significantly reduced the price for indies from €395 to €195.
  • The entry point for the Indie license has considerably improved, with the budget upper limit now set at €250K (it was €100K before)
  • Prices for other Tiers are now public, reflecting our commitment to transparency.
  • Studio access has been added to all licenses.
  • Consoles are now included in all licenses. You need to be registered Microsoft, Sony or Nintendo developer.
  • We have removed the free option.
  • 30-day trial keys will be available upon request. If no key is active, our SDK binaries will run for 10 minutes. We are still deciding about this; however, Studio will not be affected and will run without limitations. These changes will take effect starting from Noesis 3.2.4.
We've listened to all of you. I hope you like these changes.

Find more information at https://www.noesisengine.com/licensing.php

saji8k

Re: Updates to Our Licensing Terms

18 Mar 2024, 14:17

Thank you for posting the pricing for all tiers.

Could you please clarify the word "platform" for the PRO and PREMIUM tiers? The website currently says:
DESKTOP, MOBILE, XBOX, PS, SWITCH
Is "DESKTOP" one platform (Windows, macOS, Linux all included)? Or is each desktop OS (Windows, macOS, Linux) a separate platform?

Where does the Meta Quest 2/3/Pro fit? Is that apart of the "MOBILE" platform since that OS is Android-based?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

18 Mar 2024, 14:25

Thanks for the feedback! For licensing, Desktop is a single platform. Android, inside the Mobile platform, covers Meta development.

We need to work on this a bit more to better clarify what we consider a platform.

Phodopus

18 Mar 2024, 15:09

I have a question about your definition of "gross revenue". Many app and game stores take a cut of 15 - 30 %. The end user also has to pay VAT of up to 25% in Europe. Does the 100,000 € gross revenue mentioned in the indie plan mean the revenue before these two percentages are substracted?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

18 Mar 2024, 19:23

Gross sales are your total before any VAT, discounts or other amounts are removed. We could consider changing this to "Net sales"

21 Mar 2024, 01:53

I would like to purchase one INDIE license for me and my friend and have sent an email but have not received a response. xDDD

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

21 Mar 2024, 16:19

Yes, we have your email. We are experiencing a significant influx of private messages and part of the team is at GDC in San Francisco at this moment. We will be diligently working through every message.

Thanks for your patience!

kuncarous

25 Mar 2024, 14:31

I loved that the prices are now public, this helps a lot to people to decide which library to use, and based on the prices I would always choose NoesisGUI also because I like how it works.

There is just a question that I want to do and some people might also want to do, and maybe an answer in a public FAQ would be really nice, I have an open-source project ( https://github.com/kuncarous/nextmu ) and I am developing the UI using NoesisGUI, the project has a MIT license which means anyone can take it, modify it and create a new game or just modify it to add new features or whatever they want to do, making it even possible to create commercial projects based on it, in this case how would it works?, each person who is going to compile the project would require an Indie license (which is my best guess and I would recommend it) or would I need to buy a license and it can be shared without issue?, also since the project is open-source and it is a remake of an old game how would the budget be calculated? to know if requires a professional or indie license, which based on my best guess I think it would be based on each person who use the project and generate a revenue from it, am I right?, in case there is some developers that instead of provide a source code they directly provide their clients with binaries would they require to buy just a single license or would it be per client?, my best guess in this case is that they would require to buy only a single license.

Another question related to the platforms, it would be 195 EUR per platform or just 195 EUR and would include all platforms?

Thank you so much, and really congratulations, I loved the studio application, I saw the video and that is going to help a lot to UI designers and developers.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

26 Mar 2024, 01:22

It is 195EUR including all platforms (we should clarify this on the table). Single payment. Unlimited updates for the same major version.

Regarding your case, yes, every person who use your project and generate a revenue from it must acquire a license from us. We understand these are separate and unrelated projects.

Thank you!

kuncarous

26 Mar 2024, 01:57

Thank you for the answer, I really appreciate it. I just have one more question.

Some people already told me they want to provide a third-party service where they create their own version of the project, offer cloud-hosted servers, and provide their clients with a compiled client for each platform (since it's a cross-platform project). In this case, would they need a license per client subscribing to their services, per server a client sets up, or would a single license be enough to offer their services? Of course, I understand that under the tiered pricing model, they would pay based on the revenue they generate. This means that after reaching a certain revenue threshold, they would need to upgrade to the next license tier. Am I right?

Here is a few examples of commercial models that I think could happen with my project:
- They start offering cloud-hosted servers and provides specific binaries for each platform so they can connect to their servers, in this case based on my understanding the person who is offering the product would require a license but not the client.
- They sell a custom project license which includes only binaries so the buyer can setup as many servers as they want in their own hardware, in this case would be the same as the first scenario.
- They sell a modified client and server source code so they would need to compile by themselves, I guess in this third scenario each user who is going to compile it would require a license.
- I offer binaries compiled on the fly by some service that I create (with free and paid subscription) to make it easier for each user to compile the project for each platform, in this case I guess they would need to provide their NoesisGUI license which would be allocated temporarily in a docker instance to provide binaries.

Am I correct with my assumptions?, I want to clarify this in the project readme so there won't be any confusion, anyways I will put a notice asking everyone to communicate with you before they do anything to explain their business model, even if they don't have any business model and just want to setup it for fun, so they won't make any mistakes.

Regarding the last scenario that would be my case, I want to be sure what kind of guidelines I would have to follow to avoid any kind of misunderstanding or breach of contract, I intend to buy a license soon, either just to continue development (like token of my gratitude) and also to offer this kind of service in the future.