mario44
Topic Author

PPAA Resolution Independence and Artifacts

01 Mar 2012, 21:44

Is PSAA supposed to be resolution independent?
When I zoom in, the edges between different fill colors are quite large and blurry. You can see this in the first image. Also there seems to be major artifacts at vertices due to missing or overlapping geometry.

I am using the lion xaml sample.

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: PPAA Resolution Independence and Artifacts

02 Mar 2012, 12:28

PPA is a work in progress in this beta. We are still evaluating other cheaper options to MSAA. The artifacts with the triangles are normal (it is a known bug), ant the problems with the zoom are inherent to that technique.

We are experimenting with different options but for now MSAA is the better alternative. Is MSAA a problem for you?

thanks,

mario44
Topic Author

02 Mar 2012, 17:39

Unfortunately yes. When running XamlPlayer on a Geforce 9400M, it runs extremely slow even at 4x MSAA.
There is no fps counter, but I am seeing like less than 1 fps. I had to keep clicking on the window chrome just to get the screen to update. I didn't think the performance with MSAA would be so bad on a 3 yr old dx10 laptop gpu.

jsantos
Site Admin

03 Mar 2012, 21:32

Hmmm... the performance is good on the 8400M I am testing now. Anyway, the 9400M is inferior hw. Lot of optimizations are not integrated in this beta. The performance is going to be a lot better but anyway, could you tell me the fps you are getting on each MSAA (none,2,4,8,ppa) and Tess Quality(low,med,high)?

You can activate the FPS by editing the xamlplayer.ini (uncomment and change the Fps var in the [VGL.Drawing] section. Thanks!