jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

Re: Updates to Our Licensing Terms

10 May 2024, 17:53

If I understand these changes correctly, you can't use Noesis for more than 10 minutes at a time without buying a license -- even if you hadn't yet released your project?
The thing is, even if you don't release your game, we need to support your development. There are other alternatives, like going with royalties for example. But we don't like that model.

We haven't decided yet about the 10 minutes or other alternatives but we are definitely removing unlimited trial periods because we also had a lot of companies using trials for years.

We listened carefully to the Indie community, $195 single payment, unlimited platforms is a fair barrier.

asusralis

12 May 2024, 21:00

It seems to me this just creates a large barrier to try Noesis in any real fashion as 10 minutes is extremely short to work with. How can you justify someone needing paying $195 to even try developing with Noesis, which is simply a UI framework, when entire game engines are completely free to start developing with? If anything, this will simply lead to your software being pirated.

> We listened carefully to the Indie community, $195 single payment, unlimited platforms is a fair barrier.

No offense, but this feels like both a very hollow & corporate statement. It's quite jarring coming from a developer of Noesis. 😅

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

13 May 2024, 18:04

It seems to me this just creates a large barrier to try Noesis in any real fashion as 10 minutes is extremely short to work with. How can you justify someone needing paying $195 to even try developing with Noesis, which is simply a UI framework, when entire game engines are completely free to start developing with? If anything, this will simply lead to your software being pirated.
To clarify, we will still offer 30-day (or longer) trials upon request. However, we are discontinuing the automatic extension of trials.

Regarding the comparison with other engines, it's worth noting that Unreal Engine relies on royalties, while Unity has faced profitability challenges. While there are indeed other engines available, our pricing decision is based on what we believe is sustainable for our company and fair for our users
No offense, but this feels like both a very hollow & corporate statement. It's quite jarring coming from a developer of Noesis. 😅
I sincerely apologize if my message came across differently. Our intention was to communicate that we carefully evaluated numerous alternatives and considered years of feedback from our users before reaching this decision.

It's crucial to understand that we can't maintain a sustainable business model without charging for the support we provide to our users.