vaninadisc
Topic Author

Using Noesis+Unity for gameplay rendering, not just UI

27 Mar 2017, 20:31

Hello,

I just started using Noesis for Unity a few weeks ago, and my team is having a great time so far. I wanted to know the feasibility of using the engine for game elements in addition to UI. For argument let's imagine we're making Candy Crush- 30 to 100 game pieces with simple animation and hit detection, targeting all devices including mobile. But in addition, sometimes we'll be spectating multiple other screens at once, meaning perhaps 500-700 elements, though those wouldn't need hit detection anymore. Considering there will be times when all of the blocks are moving at once and playing animations simultaneously, is that an appropriate use of Noesis? I realize we'll need to pool the elements, overlay unity pfx over the rendering etc, but for the large number of layouts we're aiming to support, we think it might be worth doing all the gameplay on Canvases, instead of having Noesis only handle everything on the outside of the game windows.

Alternately of course, we could just use UGUI elements and render to texture, and then render that in Noesis as the ImageSource to make sure everything is aligned properly, but then we have to go calculate hit detection back into our elements and all sorts of indirect things like that. Any advice here would be greatly appreciated before we commit a couple weeks to converting over and testing on multiple devices, etc.

Thanks!

jsantos
Site Admin

Re: Using Noesis+Unity for gameplay rendering, not just UI

27 Mar 2017, 23:07

is that an appropriate use of Noesis? I realize we'll need to pool the elements, overlay unity pfx over the rendering etc, but for the large number of layouts we're aiming to support, we think it might be worth doing all the gameplay on Canvases, instead of having Noesis only handle everything on the outside of the game windows.
Yes, it is appropriate to use noesis that way. Our architecture does not make strong assumptions about having static elements. You can simultaneously change many elements at the same time and the performance should be fine. We also have our internal batching algorithm that should convert all those elements to a few draw calls.

So yes, it should work. Try it and if you find any performance problems tell us to investigate. There are still many optimizations we plan to incorporate into noesis. Your game may help us to prioritize.

Thanks!

vaninadisc
Topic Author

Re: Using Noesis+Unity for gameplay rendering, not just UI

28 Mar 2017, 00:17

Great! We'll keep you updated. Thanks!