gwentech
Topic Author

Noesis appropriate for general mouse\touch handling

30 Oct 2013, 18:17

I've already purchased Noesis for Unity3D for menus and dialog popups, but I need to understand if it is appropriate for handling mouse events for general game objects within Unity3D, or just for Noesis-created components?

If so, I'd be using it for pinch zooming, grabbing\moving gameobjects. If not, I'll have to use Unit3D's standard GUI logic.

Thanks.

sfernandez
Site Admin

Re: Noesis appropriate for general mouse\touch handling

30 Oct 2013, 18:54

NoesisGUI only manages elements defined in the xaml specified through NoesisGUIPanel components or created in runtime through our C# API.

When a mouse/touch event occurs, we hit-test the screen-position against the Noesis UI elements in the scene, and if appropriate we transform them to NoesisGUI events.

NoesisGUI does not manipulate directly 3D objects in the Unity scene. But you can add logic that turns NoesisGUI events into instructions to modify the transform of Unity GameObjects.

I can think of a xaml with a Panel (with Transparent Background) covering the entire screen, hooking to its ManipulationStarting and ManipulationDelta events (as explained in this example: http://forum.unity3d.com/threads/192064 ... ost1397628), and modifying the transform of the GameObject under the mouse (you can find out using Input.mousePosition and Camera.main.ScreenPointToRay()).

If you have trouble implementing such example I would be glad to help ;)

gwentech
Topic Author

Re: Noesis appropriate for general mouse\touch handling

30 Oct 2013, 21:38

Thank you for your quick reply! Excellent product.