jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

Re: Updates to Our Licensing Terms

27 Mar 2024, 21:05

Some people already told me they want to provide a third-party service where they create their own version of the project, offer cloud-hosted servers, and provide their clients with a compiled client for each platform (since it's a cross-platform project). In this case, would they need a license per client subscribing to their services, per server a client sets up, or would a single license be enough to offer their services? Of course, I understand that under the tiered pricing model, they would pay based on the revenue they generate. This means that after reaching a certain revenue threshold, they would need to upgrade to the next license tier. Am I right?
This seems correct, yes. One license per server.
Here is a few examples of commercial models that I think could happen with my project:
- They start offering cloud-hosted servers and provides specific binaries for each platform so they can connect to their servers, in this case based on my understanding the person who is offering the product would require a license but not the client.
- They sell a custom project license which includes only binaries so the buyer can setup as many servers as they want in their own hardware, in this case would be the same as the first scenario.
- They sell a modified client and server source code so they would need to compile by themselves, I guess in this third scenario each user who is going to compile it would require a license.
- I offer binaries compiled on the fly by some service that I create (with free and paid subscription) to make it easier for each user to compile the project for each platform, in this case I guess they would need to provide their NoesisGUI license which would be allocated temporarily in a docker instance to provide binaries.
In general, these assumptions are correct. New binaries require a new license. And our license keys can't be transferred to other companies.
Regarding the last scenario that would be my case, I want to be sure what kind of guidelines I would have to follow to avoid any kind of misunderstanding or breach of contract, I intend to buy a license soon, either just to continue development (like token of my gratitude) and also to offer this kind of service in the future.
Development files included in our SDKs (C++ headers, libraries) must be never redistributed to your clients. The same thing for the license key information. Your clients must download Noesis and get a license directly from us.

Of course, this doesn't apply to runtime files like Noesis.dll, they are allowed to be distributed.

WHT

28 Mar 2024, 02:08

I have already bought an INDIE license and where can I found Studio download link?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

28 Mar 2024, 06:37

Studio is still not available. We are still working on it.

JayOfAllTrades

29 Mar 2024, 04:52

I noticed that you mention that without a key available the sdk will run for 10 minutes. Does that mean that before releasing a game we could at least use the library for small developmental tests, like making sure the UI looks and performs properly when run on the target platform? I'm asking because I'm a hobbyist and, even though I love XAML, I'm still rather inexperienced in using it as well as this library and can't be sure if I'd finish a project with it. If I got further along and saw myself completing a project with this library I absolutely wouldn't mind paying the indie price, because you all put a lot of work into this and its worth the price. But, since I'm in a state of not knowing, I have been dependent on the trial keys as I continued learning the ins and outs of using the library, especially for mobile devices which is where my hobby development is. If I was able to at least continue testing things and seeing that everything is working for me than I could get to a point where I am sure that this library is one that I want to continue using in all of my game dev dabbling and would happily purchase it.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

29 Mar 2024, 05:07

We are still deciding about how long our runtime will run without a license. But yes, it can be used for development tests. This change will be effective with 3.2.4.
Even if you don't finish any project with Noesis, the 195€ payment is contributing to the Maintenance and Support that we provide.

JayOfAllTrades

29 Mar 2024, 18:41

When you say that it will be effective in 3.2.4, are you implying that the changes won't be retroactive to older versions, and so I should continue using the older versions until I figure out what I want to do?
Even if you don't finish any project with Noesis, the 195€ payment is contributing to the Maintenance and Support that we provide.
That's true, and everything that you all have coming in the future is very exciting. You and your team have been busy at work lately with all of the new tools coming soon. Thank you all very much for your hard work, and even if I simply continue using this library for fun I know it'd be worth the money put into it even if its just to keep this product alive!

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

01 Apr 2024, 18:13

When you say that it will be effective in 3.2.4, are you implying that the changes won't be retroactive to older versions, and so I should continue using the older versions until I figure out what I want to do?
The link for automatically getting a trial (https://www.noesisengine.com/trial/) is going to be removed. Starting with 3.2.4, binaries will run for 10 minutes without license. This can use used for evaluating the product. If you require a 30-day trial, it can be provided upon request.

JayOfAllTrades

02 Apr 2024, 06:20

Great! Thank you for the clarification, and I appreciate you taking the time to reply to me. Have a wonderful day. :)

HateDread

07 Apr 2024, 06:21

The link for automatically getting a trial (https://www.noesisengine.com/trial/) is going to be removed. Starting with 3.2.4, binaries will run for 10 minutes without license. This can use used for evaluating the product. If you require a 30-day trial, it can be provided upon request.
When is that link going to be removed? I.e. if I stay on version <= 3.2.3, when will that stop working as a trial?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

10 Apr 2024, 14:41

When is that link going to be removed? I.e. if I stay on version <= 3.2.3, when will that stop working as a trial?
It will be removed with the 3.2.4 release, in a few weeks. You can keep using your current trial version, but it will last 30 days. After that, you will need an Indie license, or you cant contact us to extend your trial.