protonMan

Re: Updates to Our Licensing Terms

12 Apr 2024, 23:26

So, I just want to make sure I understand the new license.

1: Let’s say you qualify for an Indie license. Then if you make over €100K in a year you will need to upgrade to PRO.

2: If you drop back below €100K after your game has been out for a while you can revert to an Indie license? For future major release upgrades?

3: If you have a Pro license and want to upgrade to a new major version it will cost (€9000 * 0.35) correct?

4: If you have an Indie license, will you get a discount for converting to PRO or will you end up with two licenses an inactive Indie and an active PRO license?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

13 Apr 2024, 03:07

1. Yes
2. Once you are in a PRO license you can't revert to Indie
3. Pro licenses get automatic updates to major versions while the Maintenance and Support (M&S) is being paid (3200 EUR/ year for a single platform).
4. Yes, the Indie license is discounted.

I hope this clarifies things, thank you!

nadjibus

16 Apr 2024, 10:29

Isn't 100k gross income too low as a threshold? I mean let's say your game makes 110k, you'll be forced to pay the hefty sum of 9000 for a Pro license, representing nearly 10% of your gross income, which means it could be 20-30% or even more of your net income! and that's for 1 platform only!

I hope you reconsider this, maybe bump it to 250k or even better, 500k?

sandolkakos

20 Apr 2024, 19:58

hey @jsantos, thanks for being very active in replying to the community questions. I have one:

Let's say I release my game using the Indie license and I never need to build a new version of the game anymore, meaning the game at the Store will never receive updates.

1. Do I still need to keep paying for the Indie license in the next years?
2. Also, if my game (which is live but has never received new updates) starts getting more and more revenue till it crosses the 100K, do I still have to jump into a Pro license?
3. Is the license used only at development and build time? Or can it expire in the built/runtime game?

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

22 Apr 2024, 15:43

Isn't 100k gross income too low as a threshold? I mean let's say your game makes 110k, you'll be forced to pay the hefty sum of 9000 for a Pro license, representing nearly 10% of your gross income, which means it could be 20-30% or even more of your net income! and that's for 1 platform only!
Yes, we are reconsidering it. Thanks for your comments.

jsantos
Site Admin
Topic Author

22 Apr 2024, 15:45

Thank for your questions!
1. Do I still need to keep paying for the Indie license in the next years?
The indie license is a single payment. It is not "per year".
2. Also, if my game (which is live but has never received new updates) starts getting more and more revenue till it crosses the 100K, do I still have to jump into a Pro license?
Only if you keep the development active.
3. Is the license used only at development and build time? Or can it expire in the built/runtime game?
Our licenses are permanent, they never expire (when used with the corresponding major version of course).